586,655 active members*
3,181 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which stepper motors

Greeting fellow chip makers.
    I'm kinda new to this so I have a question.
    First I have a Shopmaster eldorado bridge mill with CNC installed from the factory, I want to upgrade the steppers, but I'm not sure which one to go to.
    The machine came with Gecko 203V controllers, so I'm not sure what I can handle, any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Brian

Angry

Thanks for the outstanding help of this forum! Just so anyone cares, there NEMA 34's
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Bell 430 View Post
    Thanks for the outstanding help of this forum! Just so anyone cares, there NEMA 34's
    thanks again
    Brian,
    Looking at your profile, I see you are a bit too old for pouting. You say you have a Bridgemill with Gecko 203 drivers- You don't say what size steppers you have now, or what you are looking for- speed, torque? What kind of work are you trying to do with the machine.
    You need to take the time to give people more details, and I'm sure someone will offer you some help.

Maybe I am too old to pout, but was trying to find out which size I had, so I might make an informed decision as to what to look for, speed or torque increase. I tracked down the information by measuring and spending a couple of days searching, now I need to deceide which way to go,speed or torque, most likley torque. I work on various materials and I do nothing but proto-type work. thank you for answering me.

According to the Shoptask website, the Bridgemill had 1 HP spindle motors. Keep in mind that the limitation of your cutting will be related to the spindle power, so going to a bigger stepper motor may not give you any increase in how fast or deep you can cut.

I'm finding that out, I'm not looking for speed, some items I put on the mill are 75-100lbs. most of the time I'm cutting a small pocket, so speed doesn't matter, just torque. I purchased new geckos and 1200inoz to see if it works.