586,082 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Any one have thoughts on this?

Any one have thoughts on this?

I'm in the planning process of a small mill build, got most of it figured out except for a spindle drive motor.

Has any one used or thought of using something like this for a spindle drive motor; ELECTRIC SCOOTER BIKE 750 WATT 1 HP DC MOTOR - eBay (item 260720259492 end time Jan-22-11 16:34:17 PST)

They are compact and fairly light weight for the horse power rating. I would remove the sprocket and use a belt drive to my spindle. Any thoughts on why it won't work?

I have a Razor electric scooter.
    I have it listed for sale right now.
    If it doesn't sell, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing.
    The motor is 24v and ?? amps.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with ideas as well!

Depends on the controller maybe? It seems like the KB controllers I have been looking at lately all expect either 90 or 180 volt dc motors. Not sure you could crank it down far enough to put out only 24 or 36. Maybe there are other speed controllers that are suited for that voltage?

I would bet by the time you bought or built the necessary ~30A power supply, and a suitable PWM controller, you'd find it would've been cheaper to find a 90V PM DC motor and a KBIC or other inexpensive DC motor controller. I'd also be very concerned about that motor being able to operate at any significant load continuously without overheating. In its intended application, it'll see high loads only briefly, and most operation would be a light load/low current.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The scooter has the throttle controller, so I can control the speeds that way...
    A 24v PSU will be my issue due to the cost constraints right now.
    I have no idea how many apmps it would pull either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogal View Post
    The scooter has the throttle controller, so I can control the speeds that way...
    A 24v PSU will be my issue due to the cost constraints right now.
    I have no idea how many apmps it would pull either.
    750w @ 24v = 31.25A

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I would bet by the time you bought or built the necessary ~30A power supply, and a suitable PWM controller, you'd find it would've been cheaper to find a 90V PM DC motor and a KBIC or other inexpensive DC motor controller. I'd also be very concerned about that motor being able to operate at any significant load continuously without overheating. In its intended application, it'll see high loads only briefly, and most operation would be a light load/low current.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I have a couple of 1/2 and 3/4 horse motors and controllers, but the size and weight of the motors was my concern. The added weight on the Z axis for the size of mill I want is what I was trying to work around. The machine will be approximately X=12", Y=8", Z=4".

As far as a power supply for the motor, I was thinking of a rewound secondary on a MOT(microwave oven transformer)

Thanks for responding.

Mogal, mrcodewiz, kawazuki - Thanks for the response!