586,094 active members*
3,830 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gear Rack Cleaning Jets.

I have had problems from the start of slag and other undesirable materials getting into the gear rack. I perssonaly believe it should never have been designed to face up but I can't really change that so I opted to fix that with comppressed air jets. Using my lathe and mill I built three jet modules, each with a jet to blow air on each side of the spur gears as seen below:

I fabricated 2 X-axis modules as I have modified my TM2 4x4 to run two X-axis motors and then used the torchmate to cut out two brackets to mount them to the machine as seen below.

I made a third and used my lathe to make some pins and welded them to the module and bolted them to the Z-axix motor plate. I then ran some hoses and voila I have since had a problem with anything. In fact the little 1/8 nozzles (made from grease nipples with the ball removed) blow so much air pressure that anything 6 inches away is gone so it really is great.

Air jets

Why didn't I think of that? I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out a way to turn my gear racks upside down without redesigning the whole table. Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrbrt View Post
    Why didn't I think of that? I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out a way to turn my gear racks upside down without redesigning the whole table. Bob.
    That was my same problem. I did not want to redesign in and this works awesome. I am going to put a regulator on it to turn it down for noise mostly. I also am going to put a electric solenoid valve I have on hooked up to my vent switch just to tie it all together.

this is a fantastic Idea

(however much I would have prefered to have the gear-racks upside down & on the outside) >.<

Where did you get the jet nozzles?

Quote Originally Posted by xavier2nd View Post
    Where did you get the jet nozzles?
    They are 1/4 NPT grease nipples bought from Acklands Grainger that were drilled out just enough to remove the crimp that retains the spring and ball bearing. By drilling out the crimp and removing the ball and spring you will make a very powerful jet that is simple to make and easy to install, various other threads and sizes are available as well.

Cheap and effective. I love it.

just make sure you regulate the supply to your jets, I have about 10 psi going to them, it is all they need and any more uses up my air supply too much.

I just noticed that your motor faces into the gantry. My motor hangs off the outside and faces the outside.

Do you have a better picture of your table?