586,732 active members*
3,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

how are these parts made ?

these 2 parts are very small about 8mm in length and about 4mm diameter . its a cone like shape

i will appreciate if anyone can any one tell me how are these parts made , machinery used ?

thanks for all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

the look cast. but pretty much anyone with a lathe can make those parts. it will require some really small tooling but it can be done.

Part 2 looks like it might be stamped.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

yes i think it is stamped for part 2
    for part 1 , i dont know how these holes are made
    it can not be made on lathe
    as i am looking to make few 1000s of them
    so i am looking into mass production machinery.
    anyway thanks for your help

i hope some one else can give me some idea about manufacturing these parts

Two different methods were used for those parts. The first one started as a tube and was swedged to shape. The second one was formed with a die set from a flat piece of sheet stock.

i'm thinking MIM or forged then milled for the first part as you can see some of the flash that hasnt been smoothed on the body...second looks to be definitely stamped...

I agree that part 1 is a stamping.

But part 2 is made of at least two pieces. If you look in the holes coming from the side you can see a line where the two parts meet.

Can you tell us what the first part is? Or post a drawing of a section view?

Packrat your part numbers are switched. Trust me on this. Form dies and swedge dies was my T&D line. I worked for Modine Mfg. They make car/truck/industrial radiators, oil coolers, and heating units. I worked their tool room and made dies for forming tanks, headers and feed pipes. The bell part is made in a form die and the blank starts as a round piece of sheet stock. There might be a pre-operation that punches the hole and cuts the blank to the right diameter circle. It could also be a single die in a more powerful press and does all operations in one strike. In this case, the material might also be fed from a roll of stock for automated production.

The second part, Part #1 starts as a tube. The tube is clamped so part is hanging out front. Either a swedging die is slammed onto the tube anvil, or the tube anvil slams into the die. This forms the cone shape of the nose. A second part is inserted into the tube, then the assembly is run through another stamping die. This forms the larger end and force/form fits the two pieces together. the holes are a secondary operation and look machined, not punched.

MrWild - your right, my Dyslexia kicked in