586,909 active members*
3,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Nine pin encoders please...

Nine pin encoders please...

why doesn't someone make an encoder with a simple 9 pin D socket instead of those tiny US Digital crappy connectors.

I'm sure it could be the decoder of choice with easy to obtain wires and connectors and good solid reliability?

Is there a reason its not already been done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    South London Signs | Sign Makers Beckenham |Signs Bromley | Signs Croydon | Signs Beckenham | Shop Signs | Window Graphics | Banners. We cover Croydon & Bromley, Penge & Lewisham, Sydenham & Crystal Palace

They do it because its cheap, traditionally encoders have had more rugged termination/connectors from sealed hardwired cable to MS (military style) connectors.
    US digital are an the bottom end of the encoder scale, price wise.
    'D' connectors were not really intended for this kind of industrial application, just that they are also a cheap but not industrially rugged.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Al The Man.

9 pin D connectors would be far stronger than those connectors on the E5S range from US digital. I don't think they could make them much weaker and prone to fault. Maybe its just me?..

If I knew where I could get some good quality heavy duty encoders to replace my E5s's. I'd be first in the que and have much lower blood pressure.

Connectors can be changed, just like bolts and nuts. If you want to use the DE-9 style connector, they are available with crimp-on pins so no soldering is needed. Do get a proper crimp tool, not a $20 cheepie. Look for a tool with a ratchet to insure the crimp is fully made.

Look at Digi-Key or Mouser.

Digi-Key

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor

or any other good electronic supply. While you are there, you can look at other connector styles that are far better than the "D" series.