586,036 active members*
3,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z-axis reversed?

After having built the toolpath and NC code is generated, I load the NC code into Mach 3. It all looks good except for the fact that the Z-axis movements generated by Feauturecam are backwards. The Z axis reads and interprets positive values as retracting the spindle, and negattive ones as plunging into the workpiece. For my setup (mill), this should be the opposite. Z-1.0 means retracting the spindle and Z 2.0 means moving the spindle down 2 inches. X and Y axis are good.

Is their an option or setting in Feauturecam that will allow me to generate a reversed Z-axis?

Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by hjl4 View Post
    It all looks good except for the fact that the Z-axis movements generated by Feauturecam are backwards. The Z axis reads and interprets positive values as retracting the spindle, and negattive ones as plunging into the workpiece. For my setup (mill), this should be the opposite. Z-1.0 means retracting the spindle and Z 2.0 means moving the spindle down 2 inches. X and Y axis are good.

Is their an option or setting in Feauturecam that will allow me to generate a reversed Z-axis?

Any help is appreciated.
    The normal way of working is the top of the material is zero

So to take a cut it is a minus number and to raise the Z it is a positive number.

So the machine is right, it's your thinking that's wrong.

This is the trouble with being self taught, no one is teaching you the right way to do things.

Phil

Thanks for your input M250cnc, although it didn't answer my initial question of 'does Featurecam have a Z settings option' , but thanks for the free lesson.

I solved my problem by first admitting to myself that, yes I must be wrong about the positive and negative movements on the Z axis.

I know I would of figured things out myself if I would of listened to my first instincts.

Turns out Mach 3 has a settings option for the Z axis to be run in reverse.

It took all but 5 seconds to implement the change and voila, perfect positioning with Featurecam.

I think I've gone a long way having converted and old 1984 Journeyman 300 to be fully functional with modern electronics and Featurecam.

Again thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by hjl4 View Post

Turns out Mach 3 has a settings option for the Z axis to be run in reverse.

It took all but 5 seconds to implement the change and voila, perfect positioning with Featurecam.

I think I've gone a long way having converted and old 1984 Journeyman 300 to be fully functional with modern electronics and Featurecam.

Again thanks for the help.
    With your Z axis fully up it should read zero.

When the Z comes down it should read in the negative.

If it does all is good.

But that was not the problem you described.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Inverting Z moves

I know you've now reversed the Z in Mach, but if you wanted to do it in Featurecam all you have to do is make minor changes to the post processor using the inbuilt editing facility
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK