586,108 active members*
2,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SL 10 turret alignment?

When i got my SL10 3 years ago i crashed it within the first couple of weeks. I shot the turret into the chuck. When i clock the turret it and jog along the z axis it runs out by .006" from front to back meaning i get slight rub when drilling a deep hole. Its never really caused me too many problems but i would prefer it to be aligned. I spoke to the Haas engineer when he came in to have a look at my TL2 and he said it was quite a big job as all the panels will need to come out and it will be difficult to realign. Are there any instructions for how do this or would it be best to leave it as it is?

Which is out of alignment, turret or headstock. I am trying to visualize whether either would give you the same problem.

What happens when you turn a shaft just held in the chuck do you get a taper on this?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Which is out of alignment, turret or headstock. I am trying to visualize whether either would give you the same problem.

What happens when you turn a shaft just held in the chuck do you get a taper on this?
    its the turret which is out of alignment, i did take a test cut a while back and i didnt get a taper, if anything it may have been about .001 over 4".

turrett

If you have a tailstock on your lathe you can indicate to check if spindle is square, always turn your stock with a sharp pointed tool,tool nose radius will cause deflection. If your turrett is out take off all sheilds.put the i.d block on tool 1 indicate center line,this will tell you if the wedge has moved,the wedge keeps your machine on center line, remove two bolts on the rails each side mount 2-4-6 blocks take a granite block lay across the 2-4-6 blocks mount indicator on chuck sweep side of the granite block to square chuck with z axis ,mount the indicator on the turrett move x axis up the side the granite block to see how munch the turrett is out,drain oil remove plate from turrett box take tension of spring place two indicators on the back side of turrett,loosen the z axis ball nut under the turrett 2 bolts,inside the turrett box loosen 16 bolts on linear bearings then indicate square a little trick is to use a small bottle jack to move the turrett its a lot better than using a soft face hammer.One more thing i do is to drill and tap 1/2 npt into the bottom left hand corner of the turrett box cover lot simpler to add oil.
    good luck

brilliant, cheers for the help!

HAAS SL 10 TURRET ADJUSTMENT

I HAVE A HAAS SL 10 AND IVE TRIED ALL FINE ADJUSTMENTS BUT MY TURRET STILL IS OUT ABOUT .193 IS THERE A ENCODER ADJUSTMENT ON THE TURRET MOTOR OR HOW CAN I OBTAIN THIS .193 TO GET CLOSER?:banana:

!"#    
    tool turret motor parameters. Change Invis Axis from “1” to “0” (zero).
    2. Move to the Alarm display, type “Debug”, and press the Write key. Verify that the debug line is displayed.
    NOTE: Ensure there is adequate clearance between the turret and chuck before performing
    the next step.
    3. Press Prgrm/Cnvrs, then the MDI key. Type “M43” into MDI and press Write/Enter, then press Cycle Start.
    # $ !!%!   % &"%     '*   
       +! 5 "# :*; %!&  !" & !$  <'; 
    =   ! :  +! 5  >    :  %!   
       :*;  & > 
    6. Position Pocket #1 in the cutting position, using the coolant nozzle to align the pocket. If an overcurrent
    alarm is received, press Reset and turn the Jog Handle in the opposite direction.
    7. Press MDI, type M44, and press Alter. Press Cycle Start. The turret should clamp in the Pocket #1 position.
    8. Press Param Dgnos twice to get to diagnostics. Verify that TT LOK = 1.
    9. Move to Parameter 43 on the Parameter display and change Invis Axis to “1”. Change Setting 7 back to on.
    10. Turn the control power off and then back on. The turret can now be positioned by pressing either Power
    Up/Restart or Auto All Axes.
    NOTE: B! F% "&   " >%    %  %-
    pling.
    NOTE: The turret is now at Tool #1 and clamped.
    11. Remove the sliding tool changer cover. Go to Setting 7 and turn off the Parameter Lock. Go to Parameter
     N'+!"Q NQ
    X    %  %! ! $       Y     !!$ Z% [
       ' \  "  : "  ' 
    !:;  "# $ !!%        Z 
     '%! 
    ]        %  %! &  Z     &!
    torque the clamp screw as close to the center of the backlash as possible.
    NOTE: If it is tight (no backlash) it will be necessary to force it in one direction or the other
    % !    &! B    $    %  ^     
    wrong direction.
    =  N'+!"Q& N_QY` [B :;  j 

%  
    Parameter Lock.
    F   ' \  ": "' 
    !:;  "# $ !!    %   !{   
    set in Setting 81.
    17. Press the Emergency Stop button and turn the turret motor coupling back and forth to verify that the backlash
    is centered.
    18. Replace the sliding tool changer cover.

whats up with all the text in the last post??

Does anyone have a SL-20 service manual? I cannot find it on the net, My turret need to be pulled off and realigned. Haas has been out to fix the machine many times and they have fixed nothing.

I am a Haas factory tech. If you shoot me an email at [email protected] I will send you the info on how to do that. I will also need your SN

Hope that helps

I just sent you the info. If there is anything else i can do for you please let me know

Bryan, is your brother Fishin Frank?

Are you talking about Frank in our quality control here at Haas?

I do not have any brothers with that name

mine is also out of alignment how do i get into debug mode and index the motor to align the turret its about half hole out of alignment in refference to the coolant coupler that connects the coolant to the turret

please help i printed the post above but it doesnt make much sense to me but im trying to decode it

thanks

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by athens1 View Post
    mine is also out of alignment how do i get into debug mode and index the motor to align the turret its about half hole out of alignment in refference to the coolant coupler that connects the coolant to the turret

please help i printed the post above but it doesnt make much sense to me but im trying to decode it

thanks

[email protected]
    if your index isnt aligned right on the turret, shut off machine and turn it back on, it should find home on its own.

im still having trouble trying to understand how to realign the turret on my sl10, i dont want to start taking all the shields off to find that i dont know exactly what to do after. Does anyone have any detailed instructions they could send me.
    I have placed a mag base on the tailstock slides and indicated on the turret by moving it along in z and it is definitely out by .006 from face to back of turret. I think this is the reason the part is always about .006 short.

If you email me at [email protected] I will send you the info.

hi bryan,
    i did email you last month, you said you would get something to me?

Sorry I have been on the road for Haas. I am back in the office and have the info on my desktop. I will look for your email

I found it and just sent it to you. Sorry again

Page 1 of 2 12