586,071 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unusual steppers

Do these steppers have an integrated controller board or what would the board be for. These are out of a laser printer Phaser 740

what steppers? picture?

I did have pics posted but was deleting the thread as I was getting no response. Thank you for your response. Here are the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2119.jpg   IMG_2115.jpg   Phasor04.jpg  

It looks like a driver. The only problem is laser printers only feed in one direction. I don't see any way to change direction.

John

Stepper Driver and Motor

Quote Originally Posted by flint1962 View Post
    Do these steppers have an integrated controller board or what would the board be for. These are out of a laser printer Phaser 740
    Hello Flint.
    First the photos are good, makes it so much easier to study.
    Second I do not know this item and a google search comes up with nothing.
    However the board has a lot of information , the connector and motor are marked 24v so 24 volts for the motor drivers, the size of the heat sink and driver transistors would suggest 10 t0 20 watt motor, If you are able to read the winding resistance we could come up with a better figure.
    Next 5v would indicate 5 volts for the other components.
    The CLK input would indicate a external clock pulse to regulate the step rate, possoble NE555 timer for a clock.
    The S is possible step (one pulse one step)
    LD possible is direction.
    P/S I have know idea but possible hold current or enable board.
    OK none of this is certain, but if it was mine I would hook it up to 24volt and 5 volts, and play with the other inputs by grounding them out( most inputs tend to float high so grounding them changes the state.
    As for the clock if you do not have something to create it connect CLK to S and tap the connection to ground, you may be rewarded with a single step of the motor.
    What have you to lose.
    That is if no one else can come up with any thing better.
    Good luck
    Trev

Beware - it's just possible that the 'S' next to the 5v is a 5v sense wire running back to logic power supply. Easy to check by looking at the pcb traces - if it's directly connected to the +5v or by a lowish value resistor then it's a sense wire.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Thank you for all your replies. At least I have a place to start from.

Flint,
    Looking at the board, I am seeing 3 large traces going to the motor with 3 diodes connecting from those traces to another trace. This would indicate to me that the motor may be a three phase brushless (BLDC) motor rather than a stepper. How many detents are there as you rotate the motor shaft? If there are just 12 springy detents per revolution, then it is most likely a BLDC motor similar to the ones used to spin hard drive disks, only a little larger.

Steve

Good observations

Very good, :idea:
    yes the S could be sense, and the thoughts on the heavy tracks do look more like a three phase.
    Looking more close at the photos there seems only 3 transistors and three diodes, if this is confirmed by flint then vger may have cracked it.
    What a clever bunch of folk this forum has. Many thanks.
    And I have learned some more.
    Trev.

Thanks so much everyone.
    There are 24 detents in the motor. Also the large chip on the front of the board with the heatsink is a SLA6012 three phase motor driver.