586,635 active members*
3,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Series 1 Wiring diagram

Have an ancient Series 1 CNS (BOSS5), which we have almost finished converting to a PC and EMC2.

There is a switch panel just over the spindle which controls the speed change air motor, the spindle brake piston, etc.

Does anyone have an schematic for this switch panel they could share?

Thanks

Tom

Let me ask again, please.

Have almost finished converting a Bp Series I CNC to a PC and EMC2.

Am having trouble figuring out the wiring schematic to the switch box on the spindle. This one has a eStop switch, brake control switch, speed control switch, and perhaps another.

Anyone have any kind of a Bp wiring diagram for any of these switches? Darn things are recessed back into a casting, and I'm having difficulty getting in there to try and follow the wiring.

Thanks

Tom

Tom,
    I think I can fix you up. I will check Monday.
    AJ

Tom, I have a Series II but the schematic of air controls may be similar. I kept air controls manual for now. They work, but are not controlled by EMC2.

Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 CNC Mill ==> Schematic

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    Tom,
    I think I can fix you up. I will check Monday.
    AJ
    Thanks, AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ichudov View Post
    Tom, I have a Series II but the schematic of air controls may be similar. I kept air controls manual for now. They work, but are not controlled by EMC2.

Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 CNC Mill ==> Schematic
    Thanks.

Any information is better than nothing.

And I suspect that on the whole, my air controls will stay manual. Have no idea how I'd use EMC2 to run the air motor for the spindle speed changer.

On the other hand, I envision using EMC2 to set and release the spindle brake from time to time.

Wonder if anyone has figured out an easy way to rig a tach on the spindle?

Tom

Bridgeport Spindle Enable Wiring Diagram

Tom,
    Hope the attached will help.
    AJA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 001.jpg   1 002.jpg   1 003.jpg   1 005.jpg  

1 006.jpg   1 007.jpg   1 009.jpg   1 008.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    Thanks.

Any information is better than nothing.

And I suspect that on the whole, my air controls will stay manual. Have no idea how I'd use EMC2 to run the air motor for the spindle speed changer.

On the other hand, I envision using EMC2 to set and release the spindle brake from time to time.

Wonder if anyone has figured out an easy way to rig a tach on the spindle?

Tom
    It is relatively straightforward (but maybe time consuming) to use EMC2 to control these valves. I just have not gotten around to it. Just too many other things to do.

I have a full encoder on my spindle and I use it for rigid tapping. Here's a youtube video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dT31C5GjY"]YouTube - (3/3) Rigid Tapping with EMC/Linux on Bridgeport Interact 2 CNC mill[/nomedia]

Here's the description. It was a one day job to do, but took me a month of thinking about it before doing.

Spindle Encoder and Rigid Tapping with EMC/EMC2

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    Tom,
    Hope the attached will help.
    AJA
    Actually, they do help quite a bit.

Thanks a bunch.

Tom

Could someone give some explanation on picture 3 and five.

In picture 3 there is the spindle speed option (decrease/increase). How does it work?

In picture 5 there is the spindle low and high range, again how does this work. Can't figure it out from the drawing. (What are the * on some of the lines).

Answer is probably very easy but don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner View Post
    Could someone give some explanation on picture 3 and five.

In picture 3 there is the spindle speed option (decrease/increase). How does it work?

In picture 5 there is the spindle low and high range, again how does this work. Can't figure it out from the drawing. (What are the * on some of the lines).

Answer is probably very easy but don't see it.
    Spindle increase and decrease work by operating the four way air solenoid, which, in turn, operates a pneumatic motor. The motor turns a screw that adjusts the ratio of vari-speed pulleys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner View Post

Actually, it's not very simple at all.

In hi range, the motor drives the spindle through a belt. The motor and spindle turn the same direction.

In low range, the motor drives a idler gear, which drives the spindle at a reduced gear ratio, but the motor and spindle turn in opposite directions.

There is a gear shift on the right side of the head used to switch from hi range to low range. DO NOT operate this with the motor running, but you may have to turn the spindle a tiny bit by hand to let the gears mesh.

Turning the spindle enable knob from one side to the other selects either of a pair of relays, then starts the motor turning in one direction or the other.

The relays lock each other out, so that you can't energize the motor in both directions at the same time, which would let all the magic smoke escape.

If you're using a VFD, you can remove the interlocking relays and discard them, as the VFD will only drive in one direction at a time.

Tom