586,117 active members*
3,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Paging Bloke - MD3 4th axis again!

Paging Bloke - MD3 4th axis again!

I still haven't given up on the possibility of adding a 4th to the old MD3, and I have found a possible candidate (link if you're interested). I know you recommended a nice nikken unit or the like, but they're not easy to come by at the right price

Anyway, my dad has kindly told me I can have the A/B dual axis board and the hydraulics (just an air over oil intensifier as far as I can tell) off his machine, and that unit appears to have a simple old DC servo so hooking up an amp shouldn't be too tough.

Soooo...

If I were to buy that unit would you be able to help me out with wiring diagrams or pinouts for the A/B dual, and presumably the relay board for the clamping?

Also, if I'm being an idiot and that's a bad candidate for some reason, please don't be afraid to tell me!

If you're wondering, I've just finished a difficult job using the old dividing head and REALLY don't want to do it that way anymore... The VMX64 is too busy in production to even get the 4th on the table. I've done two 4 axis jobs on it since it arrived!

Always grateful for your input.

Gregor

Gregor, sorry for the delay.
    I've had a look at the table on eBay that you posted the link for. Personally, I'd give that a miss as it has an enormous Gettys / Gould motor on. That says to me it's had a hard life. The worm in that table is only small and shoved along by a motor that size suggests it has been worked hard.
    I was never a big fan of the J&S tables as they didn't survive knocks well.

Haha, that's the answer I was pretty much expecting!

Management aren't keen to spend any real money on it, but I think they're going to have to. If I can't get a 4th on this old machine I think I'll have to start looking for another machine with one included!

Anyway, not about to give up. I'll keep looking!

Thanks for your help.