586,065 active members*
4,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Setting up solenoids

Setting up solenoids

I want to set up two solenoids, one for air the other for coolant.

I purchased (2) 12v solenoids but I have a question on how I can power them. Simple solution is to buy a 12 power supply. But I do have a 12v source but I am not sure I can use it with the G540.

The way the controller is powered is I have a 24v and a 48v power supply that the commons are hooked together. The 24v is for an NSK spindle and the 48v is for the stepper motors. Also in the controller box, but totally separate, I have an ATX power supply that I use for 5v homing switches and two fans. The ATX also has a 12v output but I am not sure if I can use it.

I was wondering if I can take the 12v leads on the ATX and connect the common (black) to the 48v power supply so I can use the number 6 output for the common on he solenoid and the power from the ATX? Or should I just get a 12v power supply.

Below is a schematic of what i currently have.

I bought a 12v power supply. Figured that is the easiest and surest thing to do.

If they are low current relays you should be able to use them on the 12v supply, which ever method, remember to connect reverse EMF diodes across the coils!.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Crap.

Can you make a recommendation on the diodes and how I should hook them up?

I have read to use all different diodes. A 1N4004 seems popular but I am unsure what to use.

I read this and it sounds reasonable how to install?

Surge Suppression and Diodes Installation Tips

BTW: I am not sure where you live but I would like have you as a neighbor, LOL.

At 12v, any of the 1n4001 through 4007 series will work, the link shows the polarity, the stripe at the positive end of the coil.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I hooked up the solenoids to a separate 12v power supply (see modify diagram above).

I have them connected to the Gecko #6 which is output #2. I enabled the flood/mist in the spindle config tab of mach3 and they now work with an M7.

I'll post some photos soon.

Dan

Just like life every retrofit has a story....

So I added the power supply and solenoids and fired it up. Well I messed up the wiring and things were no longer working. I called Gecko and within minutes got a tech on the phone who told me how to test the system.

Did the test and needed to send the G540 in for repair, I really messed it up. Sent the unit in and they turned it around on one day! Additionally when I sent in the paper work I stated that I caused the issue and even though they new it was my fault they treated more than fairly on the repair!!!!!!!

I can't say enough good things about Gecko and their customer service. I have been using the G540 almost since it was introduced and I really have had no issues with except when I do something stupid.

And also props to Al_The_Man... without his advise and expertise things would be a lot more difficult.

Anyhow a few photos as promised.

The controller with the air and water lines:

Here is the water solenoid:

And the air solenoid: