586,608 active members*
3,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > RS232 link problem on CL200 with M64 Controller

RS232 link problem on CL200 with M64 Controller

I'm having a problem getting programs into my Mitsubishi M64 controller with RS232. I am able to send programs from the CNC to the PC fine, but when I try to send programs from the PC to the CNC I get an error E60 IOP ERROR -20. The Mitsubishi manual says this is a (framing and H/W error).

I tried this with my original cable which is around 50' long and the transfer from CNC to PC works fine. I made a new cable about 3' long and the same thing happens.

The base parameters let you input a "port number". I can choose any number as long as that number is '2'.

Any ideas? There are a lot of parameters that can be set. I set the parameters the same for both the DATA OUT and DATA IN. I would assume that if one direction works the parameters should be correct.

I am using a USB to serial converter. I am using OneCNC link for the communication.

Is there some kind of a board where the rs232 input meets the NC unit that can go bad. Looking at the diagram shows only a serial cable connecting to the board that the NC unit plugs into. There does not appea to be any easily replaceable components.
    Edit/Delete Message

Make sure that your baud rates are set to the correct values.
    Then if it still happens we can dig a little deeper.:cheers:

Yes the baud rates are set correctly. I have tried all the rates from 9600 down to 300 and get the same result. Every time I press Data(1) -> Input, 3-4 lines will get sent from the PC (you can see it scroll on the PC screen) and then the ERR occurs. If I press Data(1) -> Input again another 3-4 lines will scroll out and the ERR will occur again. I can repeat this until the PC indicates that the program has finished sending. Of course nothing will show up in the NC. This tells me that the handshaking is working correctly, but the NC unit is having trouble with the incoming stream. The controller has the ability to auto discriminate EIA from ISO, so none of those parameters need to be changed.

On OneCNC link there is the ability to add a line delay. I tried this with anything from 1msec to 50msec and the same thing occurs.

Hmmm it sounds like something is not set right at the machine to receive data. I had this same problem once and was there was a program that did not delete all the way for some reason out of the control's mem. Try just to see and make sure the program is totally gone from the Machine's mem.

Here are the param. settings for your RS232

Machinery RS232 communications settings for CNC controls including fanuc and mitsubishi
    Hope you get it figured out:cheers:

Problem sorted. Hopefully this can serve as a document for anyone else in this situation. It is a little non-intuitive because the setting on the PC side are not the same as the controller side!

Here are the M64 Controller settings. On the right is the paramter name,next to it is the value I put in the controller. Download a copy of the Mitsubishi M64 manual for an explanation of what each value represents. The inportant ones are shown in parentheses

Device Name A
    Baud Rate 2 (4800)
    Stop Bit 3 (2 stop bits)
    Parity Check 0 (Parity bit NOT added)
    Even Parity 0 (odd parity)
    Chr Length 3 (8 bit)
    Terminator Type 3 (EOR)
    Hand Shake 3 (DC Code Method)
    DC Code Parity 1
    DC2/DC4 Output 3
    CR Output 1
    EIA Output 0
    Feed Chr 100
    Parity V 0
    Time Out Sec 10
    DR Off 0
    Data ASCII 0
    EIA Code 00

The terminal program settings: (I use OneCNC Link)

7 data, even parity, 1 stop bit, start at machine, software handshake

The output settings on the NC unit are not so critical.

Re: RS232 link problem on CL200 with M64 Controller

I am having the same issue. I will try these settings and report back.

Mori Seiki MSC-803 on a CL-203

THANKS!!!