586,067 active members*
5,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Running Laser Cutter/Engraver With Portable Generator Is It Possible?

Running Laser Cutter/Engraver With Portable Generator Is It Possible?

Hello all...I am new to this community and I have an interest in getting a laser cutter engraving machine to do some work on the side for myself at home.

I have a large garage I could work out of but it is not well insulated and does not have a heat source. It is the ideal spot to work out of for me as it does have power...but I am concerned with freezing and extreme cold temps if I were to put a machine in there.

On a side note I also have a small 10 x 14 wooden workshop/shed that is insulated which I could put a heat source in...but it does not have a power hookup and I dont intend to put one in.

I was curious to know if a portable standby generator would be sufficient to run a machine...I was looking at a machine no larger then a logilase 9060

Specs:

Power supply: AC 110 - 220V±10%, 50 - 60Hz * Gross power: <1,000W * Operating temperature: 0 - 45°C *

Or anything going down from there in size...that might be a little bit big for me.

I read another thread on here about use of generators and all I got out of it was that they probably would run desktop models but nothing further on larger units.

Also that it would be wise to run throuhg a UPS to condition the power...my other concern is that these machines are obviously expensive I'd hate to void warranty to running off of generator power.

Doesn anyone else have anything to add to this or any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Thanks!

No this is not a good idea. you need clean and consistent power. Also, a temperature controlled room is ideal as too hot or too cold affect electronics, optics, etc...
    www.FocusedLightEngraving.com
    [email protected]

Yeah thats what I was thinking....I dont want to gamble on it with a machine...I'm not gonna lie lol I was hoping I was going to hear a yay on this!

Oh well back to drawing board and other alternatives!

Thanks for the response!

It is not good practice to run cnc with genset since genset frequency is not stable.

Now this is not actual, but in 1990ies a lot of my customers in CIS countries run lasers with electric generators and UPS without any problems for long time.

BUT I personally do not suggest to do this !!! And stability of temperature is VITAL. December 2010 was extremely difficult - changes in temperature, long holidays when customers switch off heating for long time and etc - was a lot of problems

I think it can be done, but you can't use your standard computer store UPS, you need to understand how UPS systems work. Your average desktop UPS goes from standby and switches on when it senses a power outage, this can cause a sag in power supply as it switches over. When using a generator this would be bad because the UPS doesn't filter the signal, you'll be powered directly off the gen, and the UPS will be charging off the gen at the same time. What you need is a Double-conversion / online UPS this one uses the batteries to condition the line and prevent spikes and sags in power. Also it doesn't have to switch on with a power loss, it's already on and just continues to proide power even without any power input.

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to have to reconsider possibly moving my wooden shed maybe closer to my garage to get power off of it. I dont really want to trench all around my property to lay power out.

I need to do more thinking/planning I suppose!

Thansk guys!

Another thing to consider is insulating your garage, and heating it. I have a 14x20 shed I had that done to. I paid a guy to come insulate it, $300 including installation. Then I shopped around and found a used PTAC unit (hotel heater/AC unit) it cost me $50 and I'm going to install it for my heat and AC to the shop.

I had gone through the post. Laser cutting is a technology that uses a laser to cut materials, and is typically used for industrial manufacturing applications, Laser cutting works by directing the output of a high-power laser, by computer, at the material to be cut.

Hi,

For laser machine ,best working tempreture will be 20-25 degree, if too lower ,not good for laser tube .

Best Regards
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

“ I am concerned with freezing and extreme cold temps if I were to put a machine in there”

Quote Originally Posted by villiamnair View Post
    I had gone through the post. Laser cutting is a technology that uses a laser to cut materials, and is typically used for industrial manufacturing applications, Laser cutting works by directing the output of a high-power laser, by computer, at the material to be cut.
    Please, whatever you do, do not buy any products from this guy. He joins just to spam this site with senseless posts so he can throw adverts at you. If you are going to do that, at least have the common courtesy to include a hotmail email address, use broken English, and tell us how you are going to protect us from all of the evil scammers.

What about temperatures in the other direction?

Where I live in sub-tropical Queensland Australia, in winter a cold day is 15 degrees Celcius. In the summer however, 38 degrees Celcius and 95% humidity is an unfortunate reality.

Water temperature is my real bugbear.

tempreture

Yes

,if 15 degree or 38 degree ,use water pump, laser machine also can work,and you need to change water every 2 hours or so ,and for the 20-25 degree,we say ,it is the best tempreture for laser tube ,it can work longer , you choose the 80w or abvove laser ,a chiller will help you much

Best Regards
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Weir View Post
    What about temperatures in the other direction?

Where I live in sub-tropical Queensland Australia, in winter a cold day is 15 degrees Celcius. In the summer however, 38 degrees Celcius and 95% humidity is an unfortunate reality.

Water temperature is my real bugbear.

A generator plus a UPS that work off battery all the time(Not the low cost one) should be fine in term of stable sine wave.