586,546 active members*
3,195 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Need Help Finding Rails/Bearings - Small PCB Mill

Need Help Finding Rails/Bearings - Small PCB Mill

I'm looking at building a small mill/router with the intent of milling PCB's almost exclusively. I'll probably make some small plastic parts and whatnot as well, but as mentioned, it will be primarily for PCB's.

I have the electronics covered, so I'm just working on designing a machine. Pretty much I just need to find some affordable rails and bearings, but I'm not too sure what I require even.

I'm wanting 12" rails for both the X and Y axis (makes things easier for me, long story), and then 6" rails for the Z axis. I was originally looking at the linear rails/pillow blocks on Glacern, so those are an option. I also ran across THESE eariler, which look quite interesting. Also looking at Hiwin (or other) square rails, which would be nice as well.

So basically, what's the smallest rails that would be advisable to go with on a machine this size, and where are some places that have them readily available for a reasonable price? I'm a student, so money is somewhat tight

Thanks,

- Jesse

Jesse B

The anodized aluminum rails are good, But have a little to much clearance in the bearings,
    they do have ajustable bearings for them, but are still not a good choice for CNC, those rails/bearings look like Igus being sold by another company

The Hiwin is really the best, for your machine build 15mm square rails would be ideal,
    12mm would be ok to, it depends on your design, For round supported rails nothing less than .625 or 16mm, You can of cause use bigger as well

You can see my build here,I will be starting a small machine build soon http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...ld_friend.html
    Mactec54

Awesome, thanks for the input. Do you know of any places that sell the Hiwin rail? It's been really hit and miss trying to find it.

Thanks,

- Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the input. Do you know of any places that sell the Hiwin rail? It's been really hit and miss trying to find it.

Thanks,

- Jesse
    Check this link: Automation Overstock, surplus automation equipment, overstock automation devices, manufacturer overruns, linear bearings, variable speed drives, circuit breakers, contactors, starters, relays

Probably the best price around for new rails and bearing blocks. With immediate availability.

eBay for used items on a hit and miss basis as far as quality and availability of required components, but good deals can still be found.

Hope this Helps and Good Luck with your build.:cheers:

I often pick up junked printers and scanners at the dump, free! They are a great source of precession rods and bearings / bushings not to mention stepper motors. Great for building a PCB router on the cheap.
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Awesome, thanks a lot guys for the suggestions. I've got a bit of shopping around to do (not that I can afford to right now ).

Anyways, a tad off-topic, but here's what I've thrown together so far tonight. Still needs lots of work, and the majority of the details have yet to be worked out.

Hi, I built a machine with Igus rails and bearings, the plan was to mill plastic’s and also PCB’s (if I can work out the software), as of now I’m very happy with the results.

More pictures if you like.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...y_machine.html

Wow, you have a very nice looking machine there. Which particular model of rails/bearings did you go with? Just curious

Thanks, I used the igus DryLin- W 20mm.

Cool, thanks I'll definitely look into that option!

Thanks, I used the igus DryLin- W 20mm.
    cliffy, what did you use for end blocks, screws, bearings, etc?

I happened to talk to one of the igus guys today. I originally had him quote some DryLin SLW series slides. For a 21x19x8 machine, they came back with about $750. (nuts)

After I talked with him about my application, which is very similar to yours, he recommended the W series to me. It would still be around $90/axis + Screws and End Blocks for my size machine.

Also, Jesse, I think I have decided to either buy a cnc or purchase these rails. So if you still want those THK rails from KTP, they're all yours (as long as his offer is still out there). I haven't heard anything from him in a couple days, so I don't know what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed92 View Post
    cliffy, what did you use for end blocks, screws, bearings, etc?

I happened to talk to one of the igus guys today. I originally had him quote some DryLin SLW series slides. For a 21x19x8 machine, they came back with about $750. (nuts)

After I talked with him about my application, which is very similar to yours, he recommended the W series to me. It would still be around $90/axis + Screws and End Blocks for my size machine.
    Yikes, that first offer is a bit steep! The second one is fairly acceptable however.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed92 View Post
    Also, Jesse, I think I have decided to either buy a cnc or purchase these rails. So if you still want those THK rails from KTP, they're all yours (as long as his offer is still out there). I haven't heard anything from him in a couple days, so I don't know what's up.
    Cool, thanks!

This is what I paid for my rails and bearings.

DryLin- W 20mm.

3m Rail 105 EUR

12 Bearings 62 EUR

Rail cutting cost 5.82 EUR

Total 172.82 EUR = $ 235.4