586,119 active members*
3,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sodick A280 "heat stop by overload"

When I first bring up the machine in the morning and I jog the x-axis (+X & -X on the keyboard) I get a "heat stop by overload" error message. If I proram a move in MDI or find the edge of a part in manual-feed-G80 it usually works. Once the machine is up and running it's fine. The error was only ocasional but now it is more persistent and moves in MDI and G80 are getting errors. y-axis works fine. What do I need to look for or check in the machine?

make sure that the machine moves free in the X axis. Make sure the rails have the proper amount of grease and the seals are not binding. The heat stop is more sensitive in slow movement (IE G80 pickups and home outs) because the machine is looking for an over current % to detect any obstruction. Since you use less amperage when moving slow the machine trips out easier. If you see no issues with any of the things mentioned above try to move the wires from the X drive to the Y drive and see if the alarm goes to the Y axis or if the alarm stays in the X. If the alarm goes to the Y axis your drive may be going bad.

I did all of the mechanical checks and they are ok. I first swaped the outputs and then swaped the servopacks themselves and the problem stayed with the one drive so I am sure I have isolated the problem to the X-axis Yaskawa CPCR-01-SD1B servopack. There are 4 pots on the drive; IN-B, CFV, SLP, and ZERO. Is there any way the drive can be tuned to be less sensitive?

the only way i know of to stop the heat stop alarm is to go into the settings and turn the HEAT parameter to off. I would not recommend this though cause the machine will not fault out on a minor contact and can cause serious damage. I would recommend trying to find someone to rebuild that drive or find a replacement drive. If the drive is faulting out now without any obstruction it is just a matter of time before it goes out.

Thanks for the info. Right now Sodick is out-of-stock, should be getting one next week. Just to get me running again for now I'll turn HEAT off and be very very carefull.

Thanks again