586,052 active members*
4,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki Mills > MAPPS graphics errors and setup questions

MAPPS graphics errors and setup questions

I am new to Mori. I have been trying to use the graphics mode to trace out programs. I finally found the graphics under the CAPS menu. However, I cannot get a program to run through without errors. These are programs that have run hundreds of times on the mill, but will not run through in graphics.

One program in particular will run in graphics until it gets to G36 (bolt circle), and the screen will light up like a spider web and gives me "program error 1". The code works great in the actual machine. What does this error mean?

My next question is how to set the Z work offset using a tool of know length. I thought I could go into MDI and enter G43 H* for the tool I am using, then use that to measure the part directly. However, I can't seem to get it to work, and I have to just enter the machine coordinates into the Z offset and then manually add the length of my gage block and the tool length. Is there a better way? The manual discusses setting X and Y, but neglects Z.

My last question is about the tool offsets. If I enter G43 H* into the control in MDI and press cycle start, the machine will move the distance of the tool length. Is the a parameter I can change to prevent the machine from moving in G43, or G49 or any other tool compensation code? It seem dangerous for the machine to move when executing these codes.

*The machine is not a MAPPS III, it is just a MAPPS. The control says MSG-805 I believe. I think it may be a Mitusbishi control under there. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks everyone.

Usually don't run through caps for graphics. There is separate graphics page, similar thenthe position page to run graphics. Turn on machine lock and dry run, then cylce through. The mouse nipple will allow you to move the picture around, and holding a button on the mouse pad and using the mouse will allow u to zoom.

Z axis can be set several ways. There is a gauge block set up page to automatically comp for your setting block.

I have personally never used g43 for setting tools. I just use the quick mdi functions and call whatever tool, then bring down to my set block and hit calc z. Sets the length from machine home. There are many other ways on the maps to do it, I'm no expert on set up and programming. I just fix them.

I don't have a mouse of any kind. I guess we have an older MAPPS control. Sorry about that, I was going from memory. I poked around in the POS screen, but there is no graphics option. All the coordinates and load meters are there.

Under the CAPS screen is the only place I have found the graphics so far. Also, to activate machine lock, I have to go into the SYS screen and change a parameter to "valid". Is there a better way I am missing? There is no switch for it on the panel.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by UWP_Wes View Post
    I don't have a mouse of any kind. I guess we have an older MAPPS control. Sorry about that, I was going from memory. I poked around in the POS screen, but there is no graphics option. All the coordinates and load meters are there.

Under the CAPS screen is the only place I have found the graphics so far. Also, to activate machine lock, I have to go into the SYS screen and change a parameter to "valid". Is there a better way I am missing? There is no switch for it on the panel.

Thanks again.
    If there is no nipple looking mouse, or USB, then maps 2. I can't remember if those had parts graphics or not. I thought they did. Was still a soft key under the screen. Machine lock may only be in the operator set up page on that one. I'm pretty sure the mills atnleast had a mlk button though.

when you go into the caps side to watch the graphics simulation, if there have been any changes made to the gcode program you will alarm out if it does not recognize what you are doing. I do conversational programs and then add in gcode at the beginning of the program for a turret stop. if i go back into the graphics i will get an alarm that it is unable to locate the tool. make a conversational program, dont make any changes in the gcode that it writes for you and then try to watch the graphic sim.