586,096 active members*
3,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Visual Mill (as CAD)

Visual Mill (as CAD)

I have just purchased a Novakon NM-200. The machine is supplied with VisualMill.
    The “Getting Started Guide“ contains numerous samples of utilizing existing parts.

However, I am unable to find any samples or instructions on how to design a part from scratch.
    I realize it is a CAM program, but that it does have basic CAD capabilities. For the time being I would like to utilize VisualMill for basic CAD.

Any direction appreciated.
    Thanks, John

If you know how to use autocad, you will figure out the 2D stuff.
    Why not download DraftSight (free) and use it instead?
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

DareBee

Well, thats the second issue. I have no CAD experience.
    I will follow your suggestion but would still appreciate any assistance with CisualMill.

Thanks, John

I can not train someone to use AutoCad on a forum.
    You will have to figure it out or go to night school.
    VisualMill has no training documentation on the Cad.
    Feel free to call MecSoft for training.

DareBee
    I contacted MecSoft last week but so far no response.
    Appreciate your time
    Thanks, John

I can/will help with answers to specific questions but learning a whole software or process really requires proper training.

DareBee
    Agreed. I will be attending further Novakon courses. Just trying to get a head start.
    Also any reference material that might be available would be helpful
    Thanks, John

VisualMill is (nearly) useless as a CAD program. Trust me - save yourself some frustration and learn a real CAD package. Visualmill, while decent as a CAM package, is not capable of anything but he most rudimentary CAD work, and even then it's painful.

BTW I'm an NM-200 owner myself.

p.s. Check out progeCAD's free version if you want to start out cheap. Most machining ops can be done via 2d drawings anyway, which proge excels at (as an AutoCAD clone).

I like VisualMill a lot, but

JoeBean is right - it's not intended as a CAD program. It has a few drawing tools included, but they are for defining machining regions, not for producing parts. There are lots of free programs out there that will let you produce 2-d drawings which can be exported into VM (usually as DXF), and there are even some free 3-D CAD programs, which will produce STL files. You can also find demos of some programs which will let you produce work in them for a limited time, or like Rhino (Modeling tools for designers) for a limited number of saves.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

awerby, JoeBean

Thanks for the advice. Will continue searching and check out progeCAD.
    Out of curiosity has anyone tried VectorWorks?
    Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by John Gamble View Post
    awerby, JoeBean

Thanks for the advice. Will continue searching and check out progeCAD.
    Out of curiosity has anyone tried VectorWorks?
    Thanks, John
    In a former life I used to use Vectorworks Architect until we moved off of it. One piece of advice, assuming you're from Canada and not Vanada : Don't give anyone associated with them your contact info or you'll never get rid of them.

Some other options to consider:

Solidworks - very good, but expensive. If you enrol in a class you can get a discount, though - something like $100 for 1 year license.

Rhino - Some people hate it, but I like it. It's not as good as Solidworks but I use it a fair bit as I have it installed on my mill, whereas Solidworks is on my main computer. You can download a trial version, and they offer good discounts on student versions with NO time-limited license AFAIK.

Alibre - some people love it, I don't. But it's largely a personal preference.

Google Sketchup - they sell a commercial version that by default allows you to export models. You can try it for free otherwise, and you can download plugins to enable exporting the models. Some people use it and love it. I couldn't drag myself to pay Google anything though. But that said, Evan over on HSM uses the free version and he does some impressive stuff with it, so that's a good endorsement IMO. See, for a simple example, here

JoeBean

Downloaded & printed the progeCAD manual, all 758 pages!
    I will be attending a VisualMill class for the next three days, then I'll start into progeCAD.
    Sounds like I'll be busy for the rest of the winter here in "C"anada.

Trolling the web last night I came across EXCAM. It appears to have many pre-defined functions. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks again, John