586,635 active members*
3,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: small parts

small parts

I am just getting a bystronic bystar 4020 up and running and I'm running through a 4x8 sheet of 11ga stainless, my problem lies with the parts being small and falling through the slats on the table. When they end up underneath they get showered by the molten steel coming off of the following cuts. What kind of work-arounds can I do to prevent them from becoming covered in slag.

1. put a piece of expanded metal underneath the sheet with smaller gaps than the parts so the parts dont fall through. - - they will still fall 1/4" or so and get sprayed, unless I space the parts out drastically - - wasting material
    2. tab the parts so they stay in the sheet. - - i will have to manually debur the pieces after I manage to break them out of the sheet

pieces are roughly 2.5"x1"

This would be time intensive, but less so than tabbing the parts, but have the machine pause after each part is cut, and using a small hand held magnet grab the piece that was cut out, and start the next cut. Dunno if that is possible?

The usual method is to allow the small parts to fall into the base which contains several inches of water (or oil), this prevents any hot slag from causing damage.

Zax.