586,060 active members*
4,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

bridgeport series 2 interact blowing fuses

Once again i'm back with yet another problem

my miller ,although slow is was getting the job done untill this afternoon when it stopped dead suddenly half way through a jopb,, no previous problems like this,

i found a fuse in the isolator ]in the main swich on the back of the switchgear had blown, ]

i but a piece of wire across it as i had no fuses and it powered up,

i then pressed CE to reference it, z referenced, then y, then z moved the tanble to the left as normal, ,i think at this point i jogged it forward a little and another fuse blew, on checking the fuses i found one inside the cabinet blown, it is one of the big ones along the top inside the cab, ,it is the left most ,

now i need to identify this fuse and what it supplies,so i can start trying to wotk out what is amiss,

so gents does anyone have any links to a wireing diagram so ic an get started,

any help will once again be greatly received,

regards carl

Don't know anything about the Series 2 Interact.

But I do know that your mill is talking to you. Actually screaming at you. Telling you that she needs fixing. Don't just keep changing fuses. Find the problem, then change all the fuses in the group.

Tom

I have a wiring diagram.

Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 CNC Mill ==> Schematic

If your mill is like mine, then the schematic should be good. The last image is the full schematic.

I bought my mill with a bad control, threw it out and retrofitted.

i

re

yes it is the same as yours , but i think i have found the problem, after talking to hardinge support it turns out the fuse that keeps blowing is for the main spindle motor,

i started stripping it down today found the top part of the variable V pully has a fair bit of play from the main motor shaft, i must confess there has been a rumble sonce i bought it, but i didn't know if this was from the motor or the variable drive setup.

i think the motor bearings are shot and causing a seisure of some kind resulting in the overlaod .

i am norw struggling to get the motor out as i cannot remove the lover part of the belt drive as there is a gear that i cannot remove , and aslo i do not know and cannot see any method of fixing this to the piece below,

has anyone got a service manual or any links to give me a better fighting chance with the dissasembly,,

BTW hardinge want £950 plus VAT for a new motor should i nee done, lol

cheers carl

, so i can lift the motor out,
    i think i will have to remove the whole quill in one piece,

has anyone had experience of strippnig the head down,

The head (motor with variable speed drive with quill) is easily removed. Hook it up from top to a crane or forklift, make sure it is safely held.

Remove all the wires going to the head, noting their position.

Then open up the front and unscrew four 1/2" socket head screws inside. The head will come off.

I did this myself.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...r-Taking-Home/

Then put it on a table and continue working on it.

I personally doubt your explanation, not completely denying it, but I am a little skeptical.

Prior to taking head off, you can take off the motor fan cover (it is held by three screws) and try to turn the motor by hand. Prior to this, set the spindle to the lowest speed to minimize losses in the transmission. See if it feels sandy or otherwise bad.

Also, do the fuses blow with the spindle not running at all?

i

Quote Originally Posted by ichudov View Post
    The head (motor with variable speed drive with quill) is easily removed. Hook it up from top to a crane or forklift, make sure it is safely held.

Remove all the wires going to the head, noting their position.

Then open up the front and unscrew four 1/2" socket head screws inside. The head will come off.

I did this myself.

Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 CNC Mill ==> Disassembly For Taking Home

Then put it on a table and continue working on it.

I personally doubt your explanation, not completely denying it, but I am a little skeptical.

Prior to taking head off, you can take off the motor fan cover (it is held by three screws) and try to turn the motor by hand. Prior to this, set the spindle to the lowest speed to minimize losses in the transmission. See if it feels sandy or otherwise bad.

Also, do the fuses blow with the spindle not running at all?

i

which part do you doubt, iv'e explained it as it appears to me,

what i have just remembered is that the day before it started blowing the min spindle fuse , that when i changed a tool and flicked the power button to forward, the spindle took a couple of seconds to get up to speed, i though nothing of it at thewtime but it clarly had some bearing on future events,

i have now got the motor pout and a sparky froind popped in to test it,i put in another fuse and tried to run it in reverse to styart with, there was no joy , so tried forward, we could hear the sound of a transformer trying to pass current and them a bang and a flash came out of the bottom of the motor,

my spark friend then tested the motor for grounding out and pronounced it fubar,

so its off to the rewwind shop in the mornnig for a looking at, hopefully its a simple enough job,

carl