586,069 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Precision Matthews PM-45M with 3 axis DRO
Page 1 of 7 123

Precision Matthews PM-45M with 3 axis DRO

I just wanted to post some pictures of my PM-45M that came in today. I know when I was doing my research I did not find too much info on this mill. All I got was the same grainy picture that was on the website. So here are some detailed pics in case anyone is looking for some info.

I bought the PM-45M with 3 axis DRO already installed. It's the Easson ES8. Don't know much about the quality, it was the only option available.

The mill comes with:
    1. flexible halogen worklight
    2. stand, very sturdy (has a shelf, front and rear door. Rear doors has holes for coolant hoses)
    3. coolant pump and reservoir
    4. 1/2" drill chuck
    5. some tools

I also got the milling package which included:
    1. 11 piece R8 collet set
    2. 58 piece clamp set
    3. 4" vise
    4. 6" vise (Matt threw in for free).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0001.jpg   IMG_0003.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg   IMG_0006.jpg  

IMG_0007.jpg   IMG_0010.jpg   IMG_0011.jpg   IMG_0013.jpg  

IMG_0014.jpg  
    MUDSUX

Congrats.....

Congrats Dude... you're gonna love it!! RF45's are really nice machines and HEAVY... peace

Pete

I had to remove the head to get it up on the stand. It was just too big and heavy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0015.jpg   IMG_0020.jpg   IMG_0022.jpg   IMG_0024.jpg  

IMG_0025.jpg   IMG_0029.jpg  
    MUDSUX

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    Congrats Dude... you're gonna love it!! RF45's are really nice machines and HEAVY... peace

Pete
    Thanks Pete, I have been trying to read over your belt conversion. Maybe in a few months
    MUDSUX

HAh.....

Man that sherline looks like a damn cordless drill next to that monster!! Nice looking machine.... I really wish that the newer RF45's had the 12" Z axis slide like the IH machine. Mine is an Older RF45 Lathemaster mill and It came with that huge slide and large ring cast into the head. That and some more travels and it would be a great compromise between the smaller mills and the IH. Other than that they are excellent values in a benchtop machine. I love mine and when you go cnc that makes them really something to see. Goes thru aluminum like butter and does pretty good with steel too... Enjoy it man... peace

Pete

Can someone help me. How do I wire this? I bought a plug from home depot that fits in the 220V wall receptacle but I am not sure which wires go where. Thanks in advance.

MUDSUX

Green is the neutral, center position ... then two power wires on left and right

I opened the power control switch box on the machine to make sure that was the neutral, just a few screws you may want to check, you never know, just make sure the green is a grounding wire, should be attached to chassis of machine in that box, mine was.

Usually.....

With 220v single phase motor setup you will have a green ground and two hots at 110vac. That shows the green with a round ground strap and the other two with slip in ends so I would think that the two slip ins are your hots and the green is the ground but you should read the manual and make sure. IS this machine setup for 110 or 220v wiring? Peace

Pete

They are 220 I have exact machine, got it last week

Yeah it sure looks like you could take the Sherline, put it on the table and mill it into chips.

I would tend to agree the round connector is ground and the other two are the two sides of the 220 connection.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

So the 2 hot wire I can connect to either side as long as the ground is in the correct place?
    MUDSUX

Yes, hots make no difference either side will do

Thanks guys. She's up and running. Now to go through the break in process.

Craig, did you ever figure out how to hook up the coolant pump? By the way, thanks for the lead on this machine. Wouldn't have got it without your help.
    MUDSUX

Lol no ... I will call him and get that info ... I sort of left it as is since I wasnt going to use that portion right away, but yeah I need to get that hooked up so I don't have to worry about it later if I need it ... I have a good idea on hooking it but hell if you hook it wrong it will fry so I dont want to take even an educated guess

cant be that hard to wire up. show some pics and I'm sure we can help you out here.

Awesome machine!

Nice looking machine and stand. I'm starting to wish I had gone that way.

Richard

Thanks. I hope it runs as good as it looks.

So during the break in process I noticed forward is very smooth and quiet. In reverse though it is noticeably louder and the motor gets a lot hotter. Is this normal or should I be looking for something.
    MUDSUX

Mine was like that at first, by the time I was done it was quiet and cool. I ran it 10 minutes thru each gear in forward, then 10 minutes in each gear in reverse, then changed the oil. The oil change made it each quieter.

I was looking at one of the earlier photos showing how you removed the head and then lifted the base/table/column onto the stand.

It looks like you are using a load leveler off of the shop crane.

My question: are there lift points on the mill base, or else how (and from where) did you do the lifting?

(I'd like to get an RF-45 clone sometime this year, and so I'm following your step-by-step descriptions with some interest)...

Page 1 of 7 123