586,106 active members*
3,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help Kavo/Sycotec Spindles

Hello

I would like to ask You about Sycotec / Kavo spindles. There is a very little information about that spindles. What do You think about their bulid, bearings lifetime, cooling system via clamping bracket (is it good solution) . I'm especially interested with few models:
    • Type 4060
    • Type 4060 AC-T
    • Type 4060 ER
    • Type 4060 DC-S
    • Type 4060 DC-T

I would like to buy one and use it for steel engraving. I'm also interested with price-list, if You have any. Thank You for any comment in advance.

They're a nice spindle. I don't have any of the exact models you list, but do have a 4061. Very well built, but not especially heavy duty. If looked after they last pretty well, and you can have them rebuilt when the bearings do wear out eventually. The cooling system uses compressed air as well as the clamping bracket, and it works well. There are water cooled clamping brackets available, I believe - might be a good choice if you run the spindle continuously.

Bearings in the 4061 are an angular contact pair at the front and a spring preloaded single bearing at the back, I think the 4060 range is the same. The collets are quite expensive but not ridiculous. The price range for the models you list used to be €2,400 to €3,700 or so but that may be out of date now. The Sycotec drive is nearly as much again though. Some people use an ordinary VFD instead (must be capable of high frequency operation), but that would almost certainly void any warranty.

Hope that helps,

Jason

Thank You Jason very much. I have some questions about Yours spindle.
    • How long You use Yours 4061?
    • Have You bought it as new?
    • Have You change bearings form that time (if Yes - see any differences in working)?
    • How much air for cooling it uses via 1 hour (I read in catalog that pressure is 0,5-0,8 bar )?
    • You use it for steel, aluminium, polimer or wood milling?

Thank you a lot Jason

Regards
    Lincourt

Hi Lincourt,

I've had the 4061 for about two years, I bought it new. It has next to no use, as I sold the machine it was intended for and I have a 4041 spindle in another mill. I have used the 4041 with aluminium, plastics and wood but it still has low hours (perhaps 200-400 only). It was rebuilt and the bearings replaced before I bought it from the spindle service company. I would say subjectively it is a little louder than the 4061 but it works very well. There's a video [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVMKoLaR2gg"]YouTube - DeskMC-2.5D.m4v[/nomedia] of that spindle in action.

It doesn't use much air, but I couldn't say what volume. I'd guess <10 l/min perhaps.

Best regards,

Jason