586,113 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > KT15 rs232 port setup HELP

KT15 rs232 port setup HELP

I need a little help communicating via the rs232 port on my KIA kt15.

If I understand the manual correctly the db25 connector on the side of the machine is rs232 connector 2.

Iam attempting to communicate at 2400 baud.
    I have param #6207 (input) and Param #6209 (output) set as follows
    D0=0,
    D1=0,
    D2=0,
    D3=1,
    D4=0 (STOP BIT 1),
    D5=0 (TRANSMITS CONTROL CODE),

I have # 6003 set as follows
    D0=0
    D1=1
    D2=0
    D3=0
    D4=0
    D5=1

6002 bit7 = 1

I dont see any setting for parity so its set as none in my DNC software , which is the Xtransfer program included in mastercam, I have all the settings in the program set to match the lathe.

I bring up the transfer program, choose receive and get the familiar listening message. On the lathe I choose edit, program, reset, key in the program number , then push out. The computer responds with receiving and once done a complete message pops up.
    The program I am attempting to transfer is then on screen with the correct number of lines and the correct number of characters on each line but the bulk of them are just question marks (?) .

Could someone give me an idea of what I might need to change ?

When I try to transfer from the computer to the lathe I get the "IN" message flashing at the bottom of the screen on the lathe , I push the send button in my software and a few seconds later the popup says complete but the "in" message just continues flashing on the lathe and it never seems to receive the program.

Any help or thoughts on what I have set wrong greatly appreciated

Machine and computer are aprox 10 feet apart and connected with a null modem cable. Have also pulled the cat5 cable and adapters used to tranxfer data to a milltronics mill here in the shop to try on the kia, same results

I have made up a cable following this post in another thread

Cable should be wired as follows:

DB25M <-----------> DB9F
    CNC PC

1 <------ shield ------- (no connection)
    2 <---------------------> 2
    3 <---------------------> 3
    7 <---------------------> 5

and I am getting the same results, I can transfer a program from the Yasnac lx3 to the computer but most of the characters are replaced with "?"

I have yet to transfer anything from the computer to the Kia. The software status says IDLE and the crt on the kia just keeps flashing "IN"

I am out of memory on the kia and will have to start deleting programs in the morning. I believe I have everything in the yasnac set properly and I assume my problem is the way I have the DNC program configured.
    Is there another simple DNC program I can try?

Any help appreciated , I hate to have to delete programs Ill need in the near future.

I decided to stop trying to figure out the dnc software in mastercam as it doesnt list the lx3 controller and the settings are just beyond me. I have downloaded a program called KwikDnc.

I set the rs232 port settings in kwik dnc to match the kia, com 1, data bits 7, parity none, stop bits 1 and I can now download files from the controller on the kia to my computer without issue.

I still cannot transfer files to the yasnac controller. All the settings match , when I attempt to transmit I get the error message on the kia which reads " TH PARITY ERROR! "

is there something thats supposed to be transmitted ahead of the file I am sending over?

Try setting your DNC software for EVEN parity.

I've tried odd, even , slash and the other choice in the parity pull down in both the dnc programs numerous times today.

None is the only choice that seems to allow transfer from KIA to computer but still gives the "th parity error" when trying to upload. Another member called a few minutes ago and said its def even for the lx3 and mentioned I should try rebooting the computer or at least the DNC software after making port changes.

I am headed back up to the shop in a few minutes to set as even and reboot to see if that gets me going.
    Thanks for the help

One other question. How do I delete an entire program from the lx3 controller. So far I have only been able to delete the contents of the program by entering edit, program number then deleting each line one at a time, but this still leaves the program name ie: O#### in memory .

I have read the section labled "Erasier" in the manual but somehow I am having a hard time with the Japanese to Korean to English manual that came with the machine.

That was it, changed parity to even, wouldnt work, rebooted computer and its working perfectly.

just downloaded the yasnac manual, MUCH better than the manual Kia included with the machine originaly.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by panaceabea View Post
    One other question. How do I delete an entire program from the lx3 controller. So far I have only been able to delete the contents of the program by entering edit, program number then deleting each line one at a time, but this still leaves the program name ie: O#### in memory .

I have read the section labled "Erasier" in the manual but somehow I am having a hard time with the Japanese to Korean to English manual that came with the machine.
    EDIT mode, PROG function, O1234 press ERASE key. O1234 will be erased.

also, O-9999 ERASE will erase all programs... be very careful.