586,112 active members*
3,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Cut my dust problem for $1...may work for you too.
Page 1 of 2 12

Cool Cut my dust problem for $1...may work for you too.

Doing my wood work, I, like so many others, have the dust problem. It gets everywhere. I've tried vacuums, made boxes, forced air, etc, with little progress. Then I found the problem and something for about a $1.00 that has come to the rescue and works.

My 3.5 hp Bosch router blows out from the bottom. It does that to cool, etc. This is something that does not need to get clogged or sealed off. If it does, it will burn the router up. I have a hose adapted next to my bit to pull grinds but there is so much power from the router that the router prevents any direct flow to my vacuum hose, thus grinds go everywhere.

So to correct the problem all I needed to do was reroute the air flow, thus prevent it from blowing my grinds everywhere.

This is really too simple but took 3 years to figure out. I took my face mask off and pulled it over my bit and strapped it to my router with the rubber bands. The collet keeps the space required from my blow-bys on the bottom of the router. Now air shoot up and not down.

Now there is no air blowing to my bit so my vacuum is now doing the job that it suppose to do. This has cut my dust 80% and maybe more.

If your router blows from the bottom...try this trick. It may help.

Stephen Cheek
    Built my CNC in 2007

Somewhere on this site you can see my CNC and how I made it.

Hi Stephen,
    Any pictures?
    Great idea.
    Rod

Here are the pics of before and after

R1 shows the router as is.
    R2 shows the router with mask
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 2.JPG   photo.JPG  

Very inventive.
    I plan to give it a try myself.
    Rod

so your just putting a dust mask over the router bottom? what keeps it from rubbing on the collet?

It would not matter since the mask is a paper/cloth product.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rodjava View Post
    It would not matter since the mask is a paper/cloth product.
    Rod
    So it doesnt matter that a paper/cloth product is rubbing against something that is spinning at 10000-23000RPM?

I can see this going horribly wrong, Either it heats up and can become a potential fire hazard. It wears down until it no longer sits on the collet and ends up covering the cooling exhaust ports, or even catches on the collet and wraps itself around a high speed spinning collet. All of these are very likely to happen and since most machines run for several hours unattended it could be really dangerous.

I would not recommend this to anyone, it may work for a while but WHEN it fails it could fail badly.

Build a proper dust shoe for $3 worth of MDF or Acrylic using your CNC machine and have a permanent solution that will have none of the ugliness and potential problems this has.

I'm not the original poster, but only gave my thoughts.

You make a hole in the mask slightly larger than the collet.
    The mask would not have to rub on the collet in order for it to works as the OP described.

You should try it yourself before condemning a great idea.
    Just my two cents.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rodjava View Post
    I'm not the original poster, but only gave my thoughts.

You make a hole in the mask slightly larger than the collet.
    The mask would not have to rub on the collet in order for it to works as the OP described.

You should try it yourself before condemning a great idea.
    Just my two cents.

Rod

LOL, condemning a great idea? really?

Did you try it Rod? if you make the hole larger than the collet then the mask is covering the exhaust ports.. bad idea.

I can see by the picture the OP posted that the mask it sitting on the collet and only the router bit sticks out, the collet is rubbing on the mask.

Anyways, Im not condemning anything, just pointing out to other people who may think its a great idea to try this of the potential hazards.

Really its fairly easy and not much more expensive to make a real dust shoe.

Stay safe! Happy CNCing!

Phife,

The Hitachi router blows air downward which prevents the mask from
    actually blocking the exhaust vents.

I have the same router and will try it later today.

To each their own....Still think it's a clever work around.

Safe cnc'n back to you.

Rod

Cool Just an idea...

To keep material away from the moving collet you might slide an over size washer (slightly larger than your bit) between mask and collet. ( I don't do this but it should work) This will keep any moving part away from any rotation.

For my short projects (hour), this app works for me. The beauty of this trick is that you can see your bit work. I like that and it's still easy to change my bits too, without working around a shoe and skirt. Function over looks works for me.

I certainly don't want to argue pro's and con's...the CNCzone forum is for users and their experiences so to learn from each other. Everyone has an opinion. i appreciate them all. I've learned a lot here... but more from my own experiences.

On another note...I never leave my CNC unattended.

Cheers

I had to try it for myself.

Like I thought, the mask does not get sucked in the to exhaust vents since the air is forced downward.

If I didn't already have a functional dust collection hood, I would consider the mask as a affordable option.

Rod

My $0.02 worth!

This is a bandaid on an open arterialwound. It is a stop gap measure until a REAL solution can be implemented. (Duct tape is wonderful stuff, but I wouldn't use it to patch a hole in my muffler.) If the surgical mask allows you to watch your machine actually cut it's own dust shoe, GREAT, just make sure to install that dust shoe and attach it to a dust collection unit. I may be wrong, but a mask with a hole in it won't keep the dust out of your lungs when you put it over your nose and mouth where it belongs in the first place.
    Sorry, if this sounds "preachy", but I feel this is unsafe, ill advised and my $0.02 worth.

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Randy,
    It's my understanding that the sole purpose of the mask is to prevent the strong exhaust air from blowing the chips away from the OP's dust collector nozzle.

Conceptually, it does just that. It's practicality depends on the users setup.

Take a look here at 2mins 10seconds into the video
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ehFKTjZN4"]YouTube - Dust Shoe Demo[/nomedia]

The OP has the same insight to the problem as the inventor of this intellegent product.

Just my two cents.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by scheek View Post
    R1 shows the router as is.
    R2 shows the router with mask
    That looks like a good temporary fix, but since you obviously have a CNC, you might want to use Senna's more permanent fix:

Senna's dust collection solution LINK

He posted the zip file to his dust collection system, ask and he might post the file to that air diverter, or at least the center profile of it to modify for other routers.

Here is another simple to implement solution.

YouTube - ShopDroids's Channel

I am build a ShopDroid right now and will be using this.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYaholic View Post
    This is a bandaid on an open arterialwound. It is a stop gap measure until a REAL solution can be implemented. (Duct tape is wonderful stuff, but I wouldn't use it to patch a hole in my muffler.) If the surgical mask allows you to watch your machine actually cut it's own dust shoe, GREAT, just make sure to install that dust shoe and attach it to a dust collection unit. I may be wrong, but a mask with a hole in it won't keep the dust out of your lungs when you put it over your nose and mouth where it belongs in the first place.
    Sorry, if this sounds "preachy", but I feel this is unsafe, ill advised and my $0.02 worth.

Randy,
    Randy
    I have no idea of what your point is. It doesn't address the tip the gentleman gave at all.

His use of the mask is "Only" to redirect the exhaust cooling air of the router. Many of the shoes people here are point to don't address that problem at all.

Others do. The answers here just go to show that no good deed goes unpunished. The man posted a super tip and here are all arm chair CNC experts tearing it apart many who don't even seem to understand what he is saying..

One guy is worried about 20 k rpm and paper and seems to miss the the bit is spinning at 20 K in wood which can create a lot more frication and heat than the paper ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by scheek View Post
    Doing my wood work, I, like so many others, have the dust problem. It gets everywhere. I've tried vacuums, made boxes, forced air, etc, with little progress. Then I found the problem and something for about a $1.00 that has come to the rescue and works.

look closely here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1195755635
    sounds similar?!

His use of the mask is "Only" to redirect the exhaust cooling air of the router. Many of the shoes people here are point to don't address that problem at all.
    The real problem appears to be inadequate dust collection. A 1-1/2" PVC dust pickup a few inches from the bit isn't going to get the job done.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I too think the fears are unfounded.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Page 1 of 2 12