586,052 active members*
4,323 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 380 signals

Hi everyone, after much searching I cannot seem to find the answer to this one. Does anyone know if a Powermax 380 has an "arc ok" type of signal available in it? I found the manuals, and the maintenance docs on it, but they do not have full schematics that I can tell.
    Just wondering if there is easy access to this signal, or if I will need a current transformer to provide this signal for a THC. Seems like it's a good idea to have this, I am just finishing development on my homebuilt PIC-based THC and could leave this feature out of the code, but from what I read, it's a good idea to have the THC able to shutdown the plasma if there are arc problems.....
    Thanks. -James

Since the Powermax380 was designed and marketed by Hypertherm as a hand held plasma cutting system....it does not have any internal method of indicating that the arc is transferred to the plate (also known as "arc good", "arc transfer", "machine motion").

The best way is to install a current sensor (Tom at C and CNC electronics sells them) on the work cable that clamps to the metal you plan to cut. Whenever the torch is cutting platre there is cutting current on this cable.....

Jim Colt Hypertherm