586,075 active members*
4,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach Tooling Feedback Needed

Anybody running the Tormach quick change tooling? I would like to hear some feedback on this tooling. The price seems pretty good, but did not see much mentioned in the forums from users via a forum search. I'm curious if the endmill holders will hold a double-ended endmill too. Anybody using it??

Thanks,
    Wayne

Been using it for a while LOVE it, they work soo well, and saves a lot of set-up time. Yes they do hold double end mills.

GREAT!! I just spoke to Greg @ Tormach, and he answered all of my questions. I ordered the starter set to give it a try. For the price, it seemed worth a try. What kind of RPM's have you been turning these tools at?

2,500 Rpm

I have had mine turning at almost 10,000rpm, its pretty much nearly the limit for the set screw holders. Greg(tormach guy) said that the collet holders should be capable of 40,000rpm.
    I now have:
    2 1/2" EM holders
    1 3/8 holder,
    2 ER holders
    2 keyless drill chucks
    a tapping head on a J6 adapter,
    and some custom tooling of my own(close acuracy, not as precice) such as a fly cutter, c-sink holder, adapter for 2" face mill, and slitting saw arbor.

I have been tightening these by grabbing ahold of the spindle with my hand and tightening the drawbar with a wrench, not quite the best way, but only in heavy cuts that chatter have I had one slide out a little bit, its still definately a good idea to use something to tighten a little better than that.

Jon

Jon,
    You must have a pretty serious set-up to turn them to 10K. I have a 6K spindle on mine, and it hums pretty good in aluminum. I have the same problem with tightening my drawbar. My drill-mill has a hollow splined shaft that protrudes out of the top of the spindle. The draw bar slides through the hollow spline. I plan to make a wrench that will fit the splined shaft, to allow some tightening leverage.

On a side note, I found your Tormach tooling review in the review section. Good write-up!! I plan to add another review after I receive mine and use it a bit. I have not been a member on this site very long, but have found some pretty valuable information so far. GREAT site!! Thanks again for the feedback.

Wayne

The 10k setup was a 1.25:1 pully ratio while overloading and burning up a motor, I have actually cut at around 8000rpm. The high rpm is very nice for cutting in aluminum, when I was milling off small amounts I actually was milling up around 50ipm(couldnt take a decent cut like that).

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig
    The 10k setup was a 1.25:1 pully ratio while overloading and burning up a motor, I have actually cut at around 8000rpm. The high rpm is very nice for cutting in aluminum, when I was milling off small amounts I actually was milling up around 50ipm(couldnt take a decent cut like that).

Jon
    I'm curious as to how you are evacuating chips while cutting at speeds that high. Are you using a high velocity air-jet, or high pressure flood coolant?? I have been using the flood coolant with pretty good success, but it makes a HUGE mess. I have since built an enclosure around my table to contain most of it. I have been looking at air-jets that are on the market. I noticed that many of the air-jets have air-chillers, and was wondering whether they were worth trying. They are a bit pricey, but if they eliminate the coolant mess, they might be worth it. Any experience with them??

Quote Originally Posted by snakebit95
    I'm curious as to how you are evacuating chips while cutting at speeds that high. Are you using a high velocity air-jet, or high pressure flood coolant?? I have been using the flood coolant with pretty good success, but it makes a HUGE mess. I have since built an enclosure around my table to contain most of it. I have been looking at air-jets that are on the market. I noticed that many of the air-jets have air-chillers, and was wondering whether they were worth trying. They are a bit pricey, but if they eliminate the coolant mess, they might be worth it. Any experience with them??
    My impression is that the ones with the built in chillers use Hilsch vortex tubes. I think they use a lot of air. Check that out before you buy.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

I use flood coolant, when spinning that high rpm with cutters bigger than 1/8" your chips will evacuate themselves, depending on the depth, you might be able to throw chips pretty far with a 1/8" end mill.
    also, when cutting at high speeds like that, you dont want to be in the line of fire of those chips, they can be hot, and they can be painful.
    the only other kind of coolant system I have used is koolmist, I like those for manual milling and milling without an enclosure.

Jon

Thanks again for all the feedback. I will check back after I receive the tooling and use it a bit.

Wayne