586,732 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Toolholder verification

Toolholder verification

Hi

How can I set up my own toolholder and use it to verfi my surfacetoolpath? The 2D toolpath has the holder button in the menu, but not the surfacetoolpath? If I have understand it right so is the defult holder the file "HOLDER.MCX", but I want to use three diffrent toolholder.

Please, help me!

You can choose a holder in the "holder library". Most are listed, if yours are different, then pick a close one and you can customize it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool holder.jpg  
    Tim

Yes, thats work for 2D toolpath and highspeed surface but if I choose "Surface rough pocket" or "surface shallow" the menu looks like it did in MasterCam V9 and the "holder menu" is missing.

I have MasterCam X4

Hope you understand that I mean.

Sorry - try this: - but you need to be using high speed toolpaths...

Using holders for gouge checking (Surface high speed toolpaths only)
    Select Use holder for gouge checking to activate the gouge checking feature for surface high speed toolpaths. When Mastercam is calculating the toolpath while this option is active, it will check to make sure that the holder does not come into contact with any part geometry.

Use the Holder clearance field to establish the minimum separation between the holder and your surface model.

Select the Clearance on holder bottom option to also apply the clearance value to the bottom of the holder.

When the gouge checking option is turned on, Mastercam displays the approximate holder clearance zone in red.

If you are leaving unmachined stock on the walls of your part, the holder clearance should be at least as large as your stock-to-leave value.

Mastercam displays a warning message if the surface high speed toolpath toolpath was modified to eliminate possible gouges from the holder. This alerts you that the toolpath might not remove all the stock that you intend. If the toolpath does not need to be modified, no message will be displayed.

Whether or not you elect to use the holder for gouge checking, it is still available for backplotting and verifying the toolpath.

---------------

I can't remember which of the surface high speed toolpaths X4 had...seems like a million years ago now...You may be out of luck
    Tim

So is not possible to verify my surfacetoolpath what has three diffrent toolholder, the only toolholder its going to show is the defult "HOLDER.MCX"?

Nobody knows any other way?

Hi, I'm not sure if this will help but I needed to simulate the motion/toolpath of a renishaw spindle probe on a 5 axis machine. I ended up creating a custom tool file of the full probe assembly that included the stylus, probe head and spindle adaptor. In toolpath parameters I just chose the undefined option and pointed the tool file path toward my custom file. You can also draw out your tool on a separate level if you wish. You now get a full graphical representation of your full tool assembly that can be used in verify and backplot to help you catch any collisions or gouging.
    Just 2 important things to remember when creating custom tool files or tool levels, make the geometry in parametric and not nurbs, and remember the radius of the tool is drawn in units of one. Have a look at some of the MCX tool files in the mcam/tools folder, you'll then understand what I mean.
    Keep in mind this does have it's limitations, if you change your real tool setup the simulated tool won't be accurate anymore, I generally use this for tool setups that are fixed or rarely get broken down.
    I have also used this approach for special cutter geometry and have great success, just takes a bit of time to draw out the tools, but worth the effort in the end.

Hope this helps, Mark

Just to take St Mark's comment a little further...

You are creating a drawing of the tool, which includes the actual tool build, ( you can also include the spindle head to show near misses with other items-for 4-5AX work).

The holder is there, but not turned ON in backplot or verify

All drawings are drawn 1/2 profile, no centre-line (it can exist ) , only use lines and arcs, no overlapping or double entities and must chain correctly. Color doesn't come into play at all

Any custom tool you draw should be drawn 1:1 full scale
    Any other tool-types should be drawn as the radius of 1 unit ( I think in an imperial config setting )
    ie a facemill, the base radius is 1", if you use a Ø1.5" or Ø50mm value, it will scale the tool drawing to the correct size. It depends on the tool-type as to what is to be used as the radius=1 unit feature

The drawing of the tool must exist on it's own level inside a part drawing, which makes it available to anyone opening that part drawing. ( but not available to another part drawing).
    If a seperate tool drawing, it must be made available to any PC that opens that part. ie multiple seats and a server system, where 1 user saves his tool drawing locally, then it is not available to any other user who opens that part on another seat.