586,453 active members*
2,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15 OSP5000L-G Comms issue

LB15 OSP5000L-G Comms issue

I have an LB-15 with OSP5000L-G that communicates fine with a very old Windows95 PC. But we want to ditch the old win 95PC with a later windows PC for a verity of reasons. USB data movement for one, PC networking another, floppys are a pain and most drives in our shop last about 2 weeks before they're shot!

Anyway the old win95PC has an old 25pin "MALE" com2 and we use a female to female adapter so it fits the 25 pin male plug coming from the OSP to the PC. When I use this same software "DNC6" on the new XP machine it does almost work and transfers but the comes up with this "2505 tape parity ERROR 32"

See some screen shots of PC and Okuma.
    I hope someone can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LB15-1.jpg   DNC6 settings.jpg   Plug and adaptor.jpg  

1. try to change parity check "odd <-> even". It is not so easy to describe exactly, what is "even", what is "odd".
    2. try to change to 8 or 7 bits on computer side.
    Note: changes only on PC side and one single change at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    1. try to change parity check "odd <-> even". It is not so easy to describe exactly, what is "even", what is "odd".
    2. try to change to 8 or 7 bits on computer side.
    Note: changes only on PC side and one single change at the time.
    Standby back in 5 min!

Tried parity odd even and none. In fact NONE is what worked on the old PC. File tranfers but ERROR 32 or B depending on what the PC settings are.
    Cant seem to find 8 or 7 bit on the PC side. "Stop" I can set at 1 or 2 only.

My gut feeling is the adaptor is the differance, as the cable would have been wired with this in mind. On the later PC the adapter cant be used due to later mother board and com ports.
    If I had a lead pinout I could start over on the lead?

Im looking for info on the cable pinouts. I undertsand the 5000L-G differs from the earlier green screen 5000-L ?

NONE is what worked on the old PC
    no parity check is very risky. There are other settings wrong, just You didn't noted yet. What is OSP setting for parity, You say it worked without before?
    Cant seem to find 8 or 7 bit on the PC side.
    Try to see port settings, if Your DNC software has no setting for data length
    "Stop" I can set at 1 or 2 only.
    Leave it 2 and don't change this. "2" works with "1" and "2" set on other side. "1" can fail sometimes with "2" on other side.
    My gut feeling is the adaptor is the differance
    sure. Your old windows were 16bit, new PC probably is 32bits and, of course, some hardware differences also.
    the cable would have been wired with this in mind
    No. Cable is the same for every RS232 application. Sure, wrong cable can work well is some cases.
    If I had a lead pinout I could start over on the lead?
    try settings first. Your cable worked well before. Settings are wrong for sure. Check the file also, picture shows some cripled symbols in it.

*None was how it was prior and it worked. Tried even and odd no fix there.
    *Port is set at 1 or 2 and gets the same result transfers ok but with ERROR.
    *The data you see is from the program but its not how it was sent. Perhaps $ %?
    *The data in the PC is good as these programs are well proven.
    *DNC6 tranfer file port become open. Then on OSP . PIP/READ/CN0: enter.
    *I will check parameter in OSP? But I will not change (at this stage) as I know the Okuma works.

Algadis, where do I look in the OSP to check for parity?

if You didn't changed parity settings on OSP, the error is caused by data length.
    Parity signals must be the same on both sides. Setting "odd" or "even" can differ sometimes. So, You need to set "none" at PC. Then try to vary with data length.
    "good file" must contain program name at header with delimiters:
    $SERIAL-TEST.MIN%
    (1 rysio testavimo failas)
    (2 rysio testavimo failas)
    (3 rysio testavimo failas)
    (4 rysio testavimo failas)
    (5 rysio testavimo failas)
    (100 rysio testavimo failas)
    (END)
    %

I don't have the OSP500L manual unfortunatelly ...

So do you want me to try and transfer the test data you posted?

Sure, You can do that. It's not a part program, it is just comments. If You have OSP operation manual ...

Ok I finally sorted it. I was suspicious about the old style win95com port (see attached) being wired differently than the XP serial port so when I used the adapter it would not transfer properly. So I made a new lead 25 to 9 pin to suit the new XP machine and with some DNC settings I got it to work fine. I did not alter the OSP settings.

Only thing is that the file being sent to the OSP must have a letter in the file name or it brings an error on transfer which I don’t believe it did before.... odd? See eg below.

(this file wont send)
    $777.MIN%
    N1 TEST
    N2 M02

(but this file will send ok with letter "B" in front)
    $B777.MIN%
    N1 TEST
    N2 M02

For file naming reasons is there a way to get the $777.MIN% file to send?

Here are some pics of my work. The unprotected wires you see are now safe inside there protective covers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old win95 port.jpg   New Rs232 port XP.jpg   25 to 9 pin lead.jpg   WINXP DNC SETTINGS.jpg  

very nice pictures. Valuable knowledge for others encountering the same problem.
    1. Okuma file names must start with letter. Program names also.
    2. What you marked as "2nd com port" on Windows XP computer is parallel (LPT) port.
    3. You use only 2 lines for communication. Does it work properly? Did You tested with 4kB (big) files?

What PC software You use for serial communication? Very interesting: it almost worked with wrong wiring.

Just a further note.
    I was still having some problems with PC to OSP transfer. Was driving me nuts sometimes it would work other times it would not. I found the com port settings in the "device manager" in the new XP Windows and after setting them the same as the OSP everything is now working as it should. So you need to have 4 items good.
    1. Correctly wired lead.
    2. OSP Parameters set
    3. Windows com settings to match OSP.
    4. PC comms software set correctly to match OSP.

By the way $777.MIN% does tranfer fine so letters are not needed in the name. This was fixed when the COM port settings in the PC were corrected.

DNC6.exe is the software an Okuma tech gave me years ago. You can have a copy if you like?

Quote Originally Posted by rotec View Post
    Just a further note.
    I was still having some problems with PC to OSP transfer. Was driving me nuts sometimes it would work other times it would not. I found the com port settings in the "device manager" in the new XP Windows and after setting them the same as the OSP everything is now working as it should. So you need to have 4 items good.
    1. Correctly wired lead.
    2. OSP Parameters set
    3. Windows com settings to match OSP.
    4. PC comms software set correctly to match OSP.

By the way $777.MIN% does tranfer fine so letters are not needed in the name. This was fixed when the COM port settings in the PC were corrected.

DNC6.exe is the software an Okuma tech gave me years ago. You can have a copy if you like?
    I am Very surprised that the file transfers ok with no starting letter character!
    I would be even more stunned if you would be able to select the program in Auto mode.

I was looking at the screen shots from DNC6 and was thinking... gee that program looks familiar! I remember using it years and years ago, I too got it from Okuma Australia, but found that it was not so stable within Windows compared to good old DOS.
    An excellent program that I now use, without problem. is from the UK and is called DNC4U. Very easy setup and to use.
    They offer a 60 day trial period. See DNC software : dead easy to use : RS232 transfer between CNC and PC
    They have presets for all sorts of controls and the help file also shows wiring diagrams for all sorts of controls.
    Cheers
    Brian.

file name is not used. The file is saved on OSP on other name. It is possible to set received file name as follows:
    1. automatically. OSP names "A.MIN", "B.MIN" (if "A.MIN" already present) and so on.
    2. setting file name in the "read" command. There are two ways. File name could be checked or not.
    3. File name the same as on source.
    There is an OSP parameter to check file (program) name.