586,117 active members*
3,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PM25MV Problems

Just received my PM25MV cleaned it hooked it up and nothing. Trace the problem to a bad ground. Now I have power to the motor but am not able to get the motor to turn (0 RPMs). When I turn the knob the numbers will go to seven or nine and the spindle does not turn. Any suggestions? Also my draw bar seems to be too long or the R8 collet is threaded too shallow. I am a newbie but did not see anyone else on the forum with these problems. I you guys have any suggestions, they are welcome. Thanks.

Is your splashguard in place? I think there is a safety switch connected to it.
    MUDSUX

Yeah it is in place I will try and mess with it maybe it has a bad spot in the wiring or something.

A couple of possibilities:

The plexiglass safety shield has to be in the closed position for the motor to run

As to the draw bar, is the slot in the collet engaged with the pin in the spindle that keeps the collet from rotating? Rotate the collet in the spindle while pushing it up into the spindle, and you will feel the collet go up just a bit when the slot is aligned with the pin.

Is the forward / reverse switch clicked all the way to forward or reverse?

Yeah I have tried forward, reverse, high, low. I tested the wire going to the motor with current sensor and it was hot but no motor spinning. It goes into gear and spins freely so it is not lodged. I just can't get the motor to begin to turn.

Any noise like it wants to spin or is it just silent? Take that whole plexiglass shield and assembly off. The swicth is normally closed so when you remove all that garbage it should be out of the picture. Last ditch, take out the switch and splice them together.

Is do you hear the relays clicking on and off? Should click on when you hit the green button and click off if you hit the stop button. If you are not hearing that then it's not really engaging.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

The relay does kick in, switches on. I hear a buzz, the zero shows up on the tach, turn the rheostat and the spindle does not spin. It seems like the speed control board may not be working. The motor does show electricity going to it but I guess not enough to turn it over.

The only way I could get the draw bar to engage was by putting a spacer in. The collet is seated almost flush, w/ the draw bar having about an inch of space before it pulls tight. I think I got the wrong draw bar also.

Well if the relays are coming on then the shield is not the issue. Might call Matt and see if he can offer any tips but sounds just like when controller failed. You could get it to click but motor would not spin.

One quick thing. Check the resistance on the pot. One of the problems I had was that the pot was going open circuit so that there was effectively infinite resistance all the time. I think it just needs another 5K pot if that's the issue. There is a lead that the pot controls that sets the voltage that acts as the throttle for the controller. I think it's 0 to 7V for 0 to max RPM. You can test that out. If increasing the pot setting doesn't increase the voltage there then you may just need a new pot.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.