586,103 active members*
3,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Practical X3 Milling Settings

Practical X3 Milling Settings

Hi Guys,

I'm getting more vibration from my X3 than I would expect with what I think are conservative settings. It would be helpful if some fairly experienced X3 owners out there could post what they use for some normal milling operations, specifically in 6061 aluminum...

The most useful form would be like the following example:

Material: 6061
    Spindle Speed: 2k rpm
    Table Speed: 15 ipm
    Cutter: 4fl, carbide, ball end, 1/2"
    Depth of Cut: 20 mil

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TaK View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm getting more vibration from my X3 than I would expect with what I think are conservative settings. It would be helpful if some fairly experienced X3 owners out there could post what they use for some normal milling operations, specifically in 6061 aluminum...

The most useful form would be like the following example:

Material: 6061
    Spindle Speed: 2k rpm
    Table Speed: 15 ipm
    Cutter: 4fl, carbide, ball end, 1/2"
    Depth of Cut: 20 mil

Thanks.
    Hello - I don't have my X-3 up and going yet but I do have a little experience machining with a manual Bridgeport mill.
    First; is your cutting depth 20 millimeters or .7870 in.? If it is I would think that it is too deep for one cut. If I were making that cut on my B-Port, I would first cut a channel first with a .25 end mill then cut with the ball end mill. I have been cutting channels cast iron with .500 ball end mills for mounting stepper motors in the rear of X-1 mills and and I feel that .035 is about a deep as I can comfortably cut in one pass. I don't know if this will help or not. Good luck with your project. Tex

Since you're running carbide, increase your spindle speed. That will also reduce your chipload.

My X2 was much happier once I put it in high gear and ran my 1/4" carbide mill at 4000+ RPM. I do a 0.050" depth of cut at that setting.

Frederic.

My Taig can do 16IPM at .05" DOC and 4200rpm with a 5/16" end mill no problem in 6061. You should be able to easily surpass that on a x3.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    Since you're running carbide, increase your spindle speed. That will also reduce your chipload.

My X2 was much happier once I put it in high gear and ran my 1/4" carbide mill at 4000+ RPM. I do a 0.050" depth of cut at that setting.

Frederic.
    "That will also reduce your chipload" - Which is probably the last thing he wants to do. He's already running a VERY light chipload (under 0.002"), which is about the fastest way to dull a tool, through rubbing. Ideally, he should be running BOTH higher RPM and a higher feedrate. But, assuming 2000 RPM is his max, he should be running the feedrate 2-3X as fast, and reducing depth of cut to enable that. A heavier chipload will give both a smoother cut, and longer tool life, and, at those speeds, completely obviate the need for coolant - just use air to keep the chips away from the cutter. Of course, for aluminum, he should also be running a 2-flute, not a 4-flute.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the replys.

I've been taking a depth of cut of 20 mils, as in 0.02", not 20mm.

The max speed for the X3 is 2K RPM. I've been using a 4fl end mill because it's speed, not chip removal, that's been my limiting factor so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TaK View Post
    Thanks for the replys.

I've been taking a depth of cut of 20 mils, as in 0.02", not 20mm.

The max speed for the X3 is 2K RPM. I've been using a 4fl end mill because it's speed, not chip removal, that's been my limiting factor so far.
    At 0.020" DOC, you should be able to run MUCH faster, even at 2000 RPM. I would at least double your feedrate, and see how that works. Then start going deeper. I used to run at least 0.100" DOC with my little X2.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    At 0.020" DOC, you should be able to run MUCH faster, even at 2000 RPM. I would at least double your feedrate, and see how that works. Then start going deeper. I used to run at least 0.100" DOC with my little X2.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Seriously?
    I didn't realize the x2 was that much more rigid than the taig. On a full slot .06" was about the absolute most I felt ok cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by strohkirchw View Post
    Seriously?
    I didn't realize the x2 was that much more rigid than the taig. On a full slot .06" was about the absolute most I felt ok cutting.
    Like I said, the thing to do is start shallow, use a feedrate calculated based on an aggressive chipload, and see how it works. If it works OK, then go gradually deeper, until either surface finish degrades, the tool clogs, or the spindle starts laboring, but always maintain a heavy chipload.

High RPM and/or low chipload will result in clogging, and overheated, rapidly dulled tools.

Regards,
    Ray L.