586,094 active members*
4,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Lets build Computer Controlled Graphical Fountains
Page 12 of 17 21011121314
    Swap the LEDs and resistor positions & change the resistors to 9pin resistor networks. I tend to drive status less with minimal current like 5mA max.

sent from one of those mobile thingies

Quote Originally Posted by kool-lites View Post
    Swap the LEDs and resistor positions & change the resistors to 9pin resistor networks.
    Interesting comment. I am trying to understand how the resistor vs LED position in a series circuit matters ? The LED work I have done in the past doesn't indicate this, or perhaps I am missing the point.

9 pin resistor network, certainly easier to build.

Why not just make the whole thing surface mount in 1206 size parts. That is easier to do than through holes. I can hand solder surface mount 1206s a lot easier than playing with all those dang wires.

Lower the total component count.
    Personally i would do it all SMD, but that is not for everyone.

@Y2K986: how will you provide 24VDC power supply ?

Quote Originally Posted by kool-lites View Post
    Swap the LEDs and resistor positions & change the resistors to 9pin resistor networks. I tend to drive status less with minimal current like 5mA max.

Hmmm... An interesting idea. Why do you suggest to change places of LEDs and resistors?
    Changing resistors to 9pin resistor network might be a good idea. But I'm thinking if one resistors goes bad, I'll have to change the whole damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Interesting comment. I am trying to understand how the resistor vs LED position in a series circuit matters ? The LED work I have done in the past doesn't indicate this, or perhaps I am missing the point.

9 pin resistor network, certainly easier to build.
    I agree. Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Why not just make the whole thing surface mount in 1206 size parts. That is easier to do than through holes. I can hand solder surface mount 1206s a lot easier than playing with all those dang wires.
    In 1206 size parts? Can you please explain what that is ( I'm new in electronics ). Do you suggest using surface mount ( where possible ) instead of lead-in?

Quote Originally Posted by julfi View Post
    @Y2K986: how will you provide 24VDC power supply ?
    This is something I'm currently working on. I plan on using an adapter which transforms 220VAC to 24VDC with 10A.
    Again, any suggestion regarding this matter is wellcome.

Thank you all for your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K986 View Post
    Hmmm... An interesting idea. Why do you suggest to change places of LEDs and resistors
    The resistor network has a bus junction so it has to be in correct position.
    Changing resistors to 9pin resistor network might be a good idea. But I'm thinking if one resistors goes bad,
    In this situation the R net is very unlikely to fail.
    In 1206 size parts? Can you please explain what that is
    1206 is 120 x60 thousands of an inch. They are big. 0805 would be a good choice.

There are some common places to buy these kinds of parts. Newark, digikey, Future Electronics.

For ease, here is a link to Newark.

Newark | US - Electronic Components Distributor | Electronic Parts Distributor

Just type in 1206 (or 0805) resistors and you will be amazed. You can also buy LEDs and other parts in those sizes.

If you are experienced with soldering and have good eye / hand coordination, 0805s are just fine. I am in my 50s and drink too much coffee, so I use 1206. The sizes go down really small, down to grain of sand sizes that take microscopes and special machines with vision - it all depends how much you like this sort of thing.

You might be surprised to find out that if you can melt both ends of the solder at the same time, the surface tension of the solder will self straighten out minor mis alignments, so you don't have to be perfect at part placement. Look on youtube for some videos about surface mount soldering. I do it in a frying pan.

Really cool project. Congrats.
    One of you VB programmers needs to port the code into Rhino Grasshopper and use the Firefly components to control the Arduino or microcontroller . Grasshopper will give you all kinds of artistic effects/patterns and make an excellent front end for prototyping.

Should be easy to have all the code a neatly packaged into a custom Grasshopper component(it is VBScript based). Then it can be driven by artists that know Grasshopper that can make it do all kinds of cool effects.

Imagine being able to hook up a DJ USB console and program the buttons to cue up your show.

Firefly + Arduino + Sensor + movement test - YouTube

Valves info

Hello Khalid,

I read all you articles on the web and i am very pleased and impressed with your technical knowledge.

Would you please help me with some information regarding the valves?

1) What is the function of the valve? (2/2- 2 ports/ 2 positions, 3/2- 3 ports/ 2 positions etc...)
    2) What is the port size and connection type?
    3) What is going through the valve?
    4) Do you require the valve to be normally closed (energized to open) or normally open (energized to close)?
    5) What is the pressure range (min/max)
    6) What control voltage do you require?

I want to develop something in small scale.

Best regards

Alex Corut

Khalid, if you have time take a look at this. I know you said that you don't want do be disturbed with software, but I don't have any idea why this is happening.
    This is the picture:

And this is what is happening:
    Video017 - YouTube

Do you have any idea why? I used 0,22uF capacitor instead of 0,1uF. Maybe that is the problem?

Y2K,
    The youtube is recently banned in my country . can you upload the video on any other freely available server, so that i can download and have a look whats happening? Picture shows that you have only 16 solenoid valves, so resolution will be much low.
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Hello,

This is very nice project looks very good, could you help me with some information of the valves?

1) What is the function of the valve? (2/2- 2 ports/ 2 positions, 3/2- 3 ports/ 2 positions etc...)
    2) What is the port size and connection type?
    3) Do you require the valve to be normally closed (energized to open) or normally open (energized to close)?
    4) What is the pressure range (min/max)
    5) What control voltage do you require?

I want to develop something in small scale. An response will be highly appriciated.

Yes, only 16 LEDs are installed, because i wanted to test the software. For some reason it is bugging, but have no idea why.
    Try this host:
    Video017 - Video Dailymotion

For some future uses, you can try using proxies for watching links on youtube etc. That way you can bypass protection on banned sites.

I made a circuit with this scheme:

I used 1k resistor, irf530 and tip122 transistors, and 1N4007 diode.

For some reason solenoid gets stuck. I mean, when he's powered he turns on, but when on transistor's base come logic 0, instead of turning off it still stays turned on. It newer turn off until I disconnect he's power supply.

The way I build it is the same like on Building the circuit - connecting the solenoid

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

This is my latest printer, after a year of research

DropMedia - finan

How is it ?

Looks great! Nice job :cheers:
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

It looks great. Great job!
    How many solenoids did you use. 150+ ? I suppose they are all at 220V, you didn't change anything?

Hi guys'
    I am sorry for not being here quite a while to respond you. I am afraid I shall not join this forum for the end of this month. I am in Bahrain in GPIC fertilizer turnaround and in night shift. Me residing at Gulf Hotel.
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Looks great! Nice job

Looks great! Nice job

Hi, guys

is there anybody still working on this project ?
    Im sharing my latest video of the printer:

drop-media.eu - YouTube

cheers !

Page 12 of 17 21011121314