586,058 active members*
4,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach 4th axis

Hi Guys,

I'm going to take the plunge and buy a 4th axis. I am thinking the 6" table will do the job but I'm not sure if I should buy that size or go for the 8" table.
    Any thoughts? Also if anyone has one they want to sell PM me please.

Thanks
    Tom

hi

hello , can u tell me how to see simulation on fanuc oi-tc ?

Sorry nope.

The biggest difference between 6" and 8" is the center hole. 6" is MT2 ans 8" is MT3. Tormach sell a kit to use MT3, so you can put any 3/4" rod in it, and any TTS holders. That was very usefull for me. It depend on your application but I'm pretty sure the 6" will do the job.The 6" is lighter too.

I have the 8" table for my Tormach. I would strongly suggest the 8" over the 6", the surface area of the 8" is 1.78 x that of the 6", its actually a huge difference.

On my manual mill, I have a 6", 8" and a 10". Even there the 8" is the go to one. 6" is too small, and 10" is too heavy.

If you need to clamp parts on the table then a 6" will get small really fast.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    If you need to clamp parts on the table then a 6" will get small really fast.

Phil
    I git the 8" RT for that reason but notice it seems to get heavier each time I lift it

Depends what you want to do with it.... I picked an 8 inch table for use with my Tormach. It is a heavy little thing as mentioned but I think it fits the Tormach well. BTW, I bought a Grizzly table, made a motor adapter, used a step motor and Gecko I had on the shelf rather than buying a kit.

I have a Tormach 8" RT and also manual Phase II RT so I can somewhat compare sizes. The 8” is more useful to me in that it is easier to mount a 6" 3-jaw chuck or a 5C collet chuck on. As was said in another post the 6" has a MT2 taper and the 8" has an MT3 taper. The MT3 taper accepts MT3 Collet & Drawbolt for 8" Table (P/N 30233) so all my TTS tools can be used. Also my manual lathe has an MT3 taper in the tailstock so my MT3 mounted tools such as drill chucks can be used in the 8” RT. Drawback is that the 8” is heavier than the 6”. I mounted a shelf behind my Tormach at the mill table level so that switching between the 8” RT and Kurt D688 6” vise requires no bending.

Don

4th

I too bought the 8", yes it's a little heavy but maybe I'm getting a little old and weak. I'm thinking a small jib crane to pick it up and put it on a cart. Use a small block and tackle for the lifting or maybe a cheap boat winch. Oh, yeah the 8 works great and I'm glad I got it and not he 6".
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I bought a Tormach 8" with driver, tail stock, 4 jaw chuck, t-nuts, mounting hardware from a cnczone member. I do have to buy a Bulkhead Connector, part # (30236). I cant wait to get it.

Thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I too bought the 8", yes it's a little heavy but maybe I'm getting a little old and weak. I'm thinking a small jib crane to pick it up and put it on a cart. Use a small block and tackle for the lifting or maybe a cheap boat winch. Oh, yeah the 8 works great and I'm glad I got it and not he 6".
    I went to harbor freight and got a cheap electric winch has the hoop rings at the top for a pipe so it slides on the pipe and I just pickup the 4th axis raise it up slide it back on a shelf. total cost might have been a total after everything 135.00 maybe. It works great.

110 Volt, 440 Lb. Capacity Electric Hoist with Remote Control

4th hoist

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    I went to harbor freight and got a cheap electric winch has the hoop rings at the top for a pipe so it slides on the pipe and I just pickup the 4th axis raise it up slide it back on a shelf. total cost might have been a total after everything 135.00 maybe. It works great.

110 Volt, 440 Lb. Capacity Electric Hoist with Remote Control
    Can you post a pic for all to see? That's a great idea, could be used for the Duality lathe too.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Can you post a pic for all to see? That's a great idea, could be used for the Duality lathe too.
    Will try to post the picture in the next day or so but it was real easy to do just bought a piece of pipe that fit in the hoops on the electric hoist and greased it a little so it would slide real easy mounted it to the top rafters and done. the hoist works real nice not to fast not to slow and is real powerfull way more then needed.

I think for that amount of money, I will invest in one and save my back some grief. Il have a duality and the 8" rotary. My Glacern 6" vice isn't a lightweight either.