586,036 active members*
3,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > How do I cut a sloped line

Cool How do I cut a sloped line

I'm using 2d Sheetcam. I'm wanting to start at 0 and go down 1". The length of cut is 7 inches.

Can I do that with Sheetcam or 3D cam required?

Thanks

Add a Z value to your code.
    eg.
    G01 X0. Y0. Z0.
    G01 X7. Y0. Z-1

Don't know sheetcam software, but can give general idea: 1.Calculate this right-angle triangle 2.Draw a 2D line 3.put one end point deep to 1" in point mode. 4.Change this tool path (this step is important) 5.Machining

Use a fixture that holds the part at that angle? Do you even want to do a full width cut 1" into wood in a single pass? I'd suggest not...
    --
    ck

I don't use SheetCAM, but I do use LazyCAM (which also doesn't support 3D files)- I searched the net, figuring that it must be possible to figure out how to cut a slope. What I learned, is that it involves Trigonometry to figure it out. In my case, I knew the angle I wanted, and the distance. But not the depth. I found a table of Tangents for 0 thru 45 degrees, and put the table into a spreadsheet, and entered lookup formulas so that I could simply type in the distance, and the desired angle to determine the depth of cut per pass. Then, it was a matter of manually creating the toolpath for what was essentially a sloped pocket cut. Since I was using a 1/8" diameter cutter, obviously I could not plunge full depth without breaking the bit. So I created several pocket cuts at where the deep end of the slope would go, to reduce the depth the cutter would have to plunge to achieve the desired slope angle. Then, manually created the toolpath for the actual slope cut. Example X0 Y0 Z0, X7 Y0 Z-1,Y.0625 X0 Z0,Y0.125 X7 Z-1, etc. which creates a SLOPED cut, stepping over 50% of the cutter size at a time. It doesn't take as long as you may think to manually create the toolpath if you use a spreadsheet to do all of the math for you, by entering the formula, copying down, then move left one column and enter X, or Y as the case may be. Once you have completed this, highlight and copy to the clipboard, and paste into a text file. Then save this file to be loaded as your Gcode. As far as the math, just do a web search for (Trigonometry table) as long as you know any 2 values for a triangle, you can figure out the math needed to determine the unknown 3rd value.

TRY CamBam FREE Beta

Quote Originally Posted by scheek View Post
    I'm using 2d Sheetcam. I'm wanting to start at 0 and go down 1". The length of cut is 7 inches.

Can I do that with Sheetcam or 3D cam required?

Thanks
    Hi There...

Think you'll find the free CamBam beta software can handle this type of job... it's pretty neat at all kinds of 2.5 /3D work.. and can import most flavours of .DXF.. so you can probably import your work to date etc..

Hope This Helps

Danny
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org