586,119 active members*
3,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

POwermax 65 Question

I have been cutting mostly 14Ga with my powermax 65. This past weekend I had a job to cut some 1/2" mild steel. I set up the profile in sheetcam with the specs in the manual. When the machine would run the g-code, it would touch off and pierce with no issue, then begin the cut. About .500" into the cut the torch would turn off and the machine stops. It is acting like the arc is being lost. I ran the machine with the torch off to verify the g-code was good and no problems. I tried to run the same program on some 1/4" plate with the 1/4" parameters and the same thing. I bumped up the IPM rate from 90 to 120 and it cut out the part with no issue other then cut quality suffereing a bit. I believe the material is being blown away and losing the arc when run at the slower speeds. Any ideas?

Some clarification: The recommended cut data is based on the nozzle rated amperage, correct?

Thanks

Doesn't sound right. I have been following the specs. in the book almost exactly with great results.
    I'm sure Jim will chime in soon!

Steve

From my experience with the 65 and 85 the book specs are dead on. Are you using a hand or machine torch? Are you following the machine cutting specs, and using the machine shield (even if using the hand torch)?

There are diagnostics on the plasma that will indicate to the Hypertherm service techs what is causing the torch to shut off. If you call the factory service line, they can walk you through accessing the service codes (basically push both buttons on the front panel and hold them for a few seconds, you will see a ton of data come up on the LCD display, and it stores a history of error codes.....the service department guys can walk you through it.)

Let me know what cut specs you are using.....and yes, the cut charts are designed for use at max amperage (65 amps for a 65 amp nozzle)....the exception to that is with the FineCut parts that use different amperages for different materials, as listed on the charts.

Jim

I have the machine torch and I am running the machine torch specs straight from the book. I would agree the specs seem to be dead on from the book. What little bit I got to cut in the 1/2" appeared to be very good. Maybe a ground Issue?

Thanks,
    Mike

If you lost ground momentarily...or for some reason the plasma on signal was lost momentarily.....or if the air pressure dropped below the internal pressure transducer setting. All of these can be diagnosed from the LCD screen on the Powermax65/85....but I will have to admit that I have not learned exactly how to do that yet.....but a quick and free call to Hypertherms tech service and they likely can sort it out quickly.

Jim Colt

Jim,

Per your suggestion I contacted Hypertherm tech and after trying a few things the tech decided to replace the unit. I got the new unit hooked up today and tried to cut with the same results. The difference now is I cannot cut any thickness material and I am getting a 021 air pressure fault. This is new. Have not had any issues with air supply. I bypassed the shop system and ran straight from the compressor with no changes. I thought maybe there may have been a blockage within the machine or torch lead and all checked out fine. Any ideas or reasons behind the unit getting an air supply fault?

Some additional info: I unhooked the THC controller and used the manual torch control that came with the unit. I fire the torch and it runs for a few seconds and faults out for air pressure. The little bit it cuts looks good. The incoming air pressure maintains 90PSI after the filter at the machine. I have run the machine previously while also running other air tools in the shop, so I don't think I have an air supply issue. No fault shows up on Mach when the unit shuts down. I also tried running the machine in the manual air adjust mode and took it up and down with no change. Unlike the original problem, this new one now occurs with the 45 amp consumables in the machine as well. Is there an internal adjustment set at the factory for the air fault?

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mag409 View Post
    Jim,

Per your suggestion I contacted Hypertherm tech and after trying a few things the tech decided to replace the unit. I got the new unit hooked up today and tried to cut with the same results. The difference now is I cannot cut any thickness material and I am getting a 021 air pressure fault. This is new. Have not had any issues with air supply. I bypassed the shop system and ran straight from the compressor with no changes. I thought maybe there may have been a blockage within the machine or torch lead and all checked out fine. Any ideas or reasons behind the unit getting an air supply fault?

Some additional info: I unhooked the THC controller and used the manual torch control that came with the unit. I fire the torch and it runs for a few seconds and faults out for air pressure. The little bit it cuts looks good. The incoming air pressure maintains 90PSI after the filter at the machine. I have run the machine previously while also running other air tools in the shop, so I don't think I have an air supply issue. No fault shows up on Mach when the unit shuts down. I also tried running the machine in the manual air adjust mode and took it up and down with no change. Unlike the original problem, this new one now occurs with the 45 amp consumables in the machine as well. Is there an internal adjustment set at the factory for the air fault?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike,

Your 65's air pressure can be switched between manual and automatic control. The manual explains how to do this. Maybe its worth a try?

Magma-joe

I would suggest trying the system with a different hose, different compressor perhaps. The flow rate of these systems can make even a minor restriction inside of any one fitting create a pressure drop. The pressure transducer inside your plasma system is highly accurate, and is digitally set (by the onboard microprocessor).

While it is highly unlikely that Hypertherm sent you two plasma systems with similar problems...I have seen stranger things during my career. If changing to a completely different air system is not something you can do....can you take it back to your local dealer (if that is where you bought it?) and have them connect it and test it? If none of the above, its back to working with the Hypertherm tech service crew on Monday.

Sorry for the issues.

Jim Colt

I am running a 60 gallon compressor and tried taking the air back to the compressor directly. My main shop air is made up of 1/2" copper. The other option on my end is to plumb a 3/4" line directly from the compressor to where my plasma unit sits. Air supply didn't seem to be a problem on the last unit or I was on the hairy edge and that was the reason I couldn't cut thicker material, although I was able to use the auto air setting on 14 ga at 65 amps. No worries, I'm sure all will be well. I have confidence in the Hypertherm brand.

I may take the unit into work tomorrow and hook it up there. I know air supply is not an issue there, so that would give me a definitive answer on that.

Thanks,
    Mike

The size of the compressor and the size of the plumbing lines are likely nothing to do with the issue. One fitting with a restriction or a piece of debris (teflon tape, brass from pipe threads, an undersized fitting, etc.) will drop pressure to the point where the system would either drop out after a short distance of cut (takes a few seconds for the pressure to drop and the internal sensor to sense the drop) or indicate low pressure.

As far as plumbing goes....a 3/8" ID hose that is shorter than 50' and has a minumum of connections is usually more than adequate for air plasma systems up to about 200 amps.

If you have a 45 amp or the Fine Cut nozzles...it would be interesting to see if the unit works properly with these. The flow rate is determined by the size of the nozzle orifice on a plasma system. Higher flow rate (larger nozzle) = more pressure drop, more air consumption.

I actually had a 50' air hose with quick disconnect fittings that I always had used with my portable compressor for my various nail guns. I needed an air hose for my Powermax 1250 a while back in the shop.....used that hose and it did not work....the pressure fault light would come on after about 5 to 10 seconds of cutting. Turns out the quick disconnect coupler on the compressor end was defective, and was causing the pressure in the hose to drop once the flow to the torch started.(turns out that the fitting had a smaller inside ID as compared to others in my shop...probably came from harbor freight!) Replaced the fitting with a new one, used the same hose, problem solved. It was never an issue with my framing nail gun...as it only uses air momentarily to charge up its internal tank....then releases it all at once to fire a nail. The plasma needs continuous flow while the arc is on.

Jim Colt

I tried the fine cut at 45 amps with the same results.

So...if you can take it to work tomorrow and try it there. If it still has the same issue, then Call tech service and replace the unit if that is what it takes. It is just so strange because every one of these systems goes through full final checkout, a 24 hour full duty cycle burn in, and each system does test cuts (you will always notice a used nozzle on every new Hypertherm Powermax).

If you truly got two defective Hypertherm units....I'd probably be tempted to go buy a lottery ticket! The odds are similar! (Just kidding)

Best regards, Jim Colt

Jim,

I met with Pat from Hypertherm, from here in Pa. He says hello by the way. He had my original unit with him. It tested fine back at the factory so I am going to have to figure out what is going on with trying to cut the thicker materials. Anyway the replacement machine does have an issue. He was stumped on this one. All is good and the service was excellant. Even got a bottle of Hypertherm Hot Sauce from Pat.

Thanks for your support.
    Mike