586,071 active members*
3,792 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mini CNC Lathe Build

Hi All,

I am gonna start building a mini cnc lathe. This will be my first cnc build. I will complete the cad model and some analysis on the design as I progress and get the bed and other major hardware cast in alloy steel.

I will be seeking help regarding electronics from members here.(group)

I started off by getting myself a 4 Inch self centering 3 jaw chuck for the cnc lathe.

Welcome to the new project! Do you own a lathe yet? Have you ever owned one? Have you operated one where you feel comfortable with its processes? Any reason for a 3 jaw over a 4 jaw non centering? Just curious as to the background on individuals who are starting their projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Welcome to the new project! Do you own a lathe yet? Have you ever owned one? Have you operated one where you feel comfortable with its processes? Any reason for a 3 jaw over a 4 jaw non centering? Just curious as to the background on individuals who are starting their projects.
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I did own a 4 1/2 ft industrial lathe which I sold later. I have been working as a designer as well as a cam programmer for 7 yrs.

The chuck is a 3 jaw self centering one. I prefer self centering chucks. In case there is a complex component I can always make a fixture for it

I got a digital vernier and a dial gauge. The old ones had lost precision and I have put them out of service(flame2)

Started work on the main spindle. Its just a concept and needs more refinement in the design.I am going for tapper roller bearings.

Be sure to keep the pictures coming. Ive build a lathe from scratch and learned a thing or two along the way, maybe you can steal some ideas from my thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guldberg View Post
    Ive build a lathe from scratch and learned a thing or two along the way, maybe you can steal some ideas from my thread
    `Steal` I don`t know why u said that word, but any way I will check out your thread.

The spindle is actually nothing new as we all know, its only a concept (parameters not yet finalised) that I have in mind and which is not finalised.I still got to get the bearings.

Its always intresting to build things right from scratch.

steal some ideas from my thread
    just checked the latest page in your cnc slant bed build thread. I must say :wee: its awesome. steal some ideas from.. I am on it

I wonder if the youtube video I downloaded earlier was for your lathe. Thanks for letting me know about it, I am subscribed to it.

I dont know if you have access to all sorts of fancy equipment, but there is the possibility to buy the spindle as a spare part for a already excisting machine, thats what I did.

Be sure to keep the pictures coming. Ive build a lathe from scratch and learned a thing or two along the way, maybe you can steal some ideas from my thread
    I must say that you have one of the best diy cnc there. blight's cnc is also good but it doesnot seems very rigid for steel.
    i built a cnc after watching yours. here is the link to video
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0CxUtm840"]YouTube - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\100_6190_flv.flv[/nomedia]
    the turret is also copied from your design just changed some parameters.
    the indexing speed of the turret is very fast now (a bigger steppers works better)

many thanks from this side.
    i willl be lucky if you can refer some good vmc project. I am going to build one with upto 12x12 machining area, tool changer and servos.
    jasminder singh.
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

It may not be rigid steel, but look at that craftsmanship! Makes my work look like its made by a kindergarten:-)

Maybe axis_control can combine the best from both projects

It may not be rigid steel, but look at that craftsmanship! Makes my work look like its made by a kindergarten:-)

Maybe axis_control can combine the best from both projects
    I don`t think your work as `made by a kindergarten`. I know how much effort`s go into this. I am happy to have found your thread. I will do my best to make a good and precise cnc lathe.

I live in an industrial city, so I do have acess to lot of mechanical stuff
    There are lot of companies that machine made to order spindles. I haven`t decided if I should get it made for me. I am leaning more on the do it yourself side, so I guess I might just make it myself.
    I am still reading your thread, and might ask you regarding integrating the spindle motor with the other 2 axis for thread cutting

Quote Originally Posted by jasminder View Post
    i built a cnc after watching yours. here is the link to video
    YouTube - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\100_6190_flv.flv
    the turret is also copied from your design just changed some parameters.
    the indexing speed of the turret is very fast now (a bigger steppers works better)
    Nice work there Jasminder.Seems like you own a machine shop for production work.
    So, r u from Punjab? I am from Pune.

Regarding threading. Mach3 takes care of this. You just add a simple indexing of the spindle. Its all in the manual. Be aware though, that you need the solution with only one pulse per revolution. The other soultion with a disc with multiple holes = multiple pulses per revolution doesnt work well. The manual is not very good at describing this, but its on the mach website

axis, there is an upgraded spindle available for the 7x mini lathes that uses a 100mm spindle plate vs the 80 mm one that is standard. They aren't terribly expensive so you might want to consider one for your project. It could save you a lot of work.
    Amadeal Ltd. 4" Spindle Upgrade Real Bull Mini-lathe (CJ18 series)

Amadeal also sells on eBay as harryuk123.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by axis_control View Post
    Nice work there Jasminder.Seems like you own a machine shop for production work.
    yes sir,
    i am from punjab. these days fighting to get my lathe work. the parting tool chatters badly and spindle stops while parting of 1inch dia of steel. i have tried slow feedrates also but no luck. so i am back on cnczone lol;

good to see you there. keep posting pics and progress. A tip from me for free. Use cast iron and avoid steel plates and the most important thing is "do it your self if you have good experience" market is full of stupids here.

jasminder singh

Quote Originally Posted by axis_control View Post
    one more thing axis_control,
    don't buy those alu flex coupling for your lathe, the spider couplings aren't good either. built very good self aligning coupling using 1 inch dia copper rods. they are awsome (the best thing in my lathe lol even a micro step is passed to the screw. i will post pics shortly. (i am going to disasseble the x to see why tool chatters let's see)
    here is the original idea:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_coupling

jasminder singh