586,106 active members*
3,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Questions

Questions

Hey Guys...it's been forever and a day since I last posted here. A lot of things have happened...including spending cnc money on a ring for the soon to be mrs.

Anyway....I'm still looking into getting the x2 for projects I play with, mainly aluminum. Back earlier in the year I was planning on going with the kdn kit, but I think I could do it myself. My plan thus far is as follows:

Roton 5/8 Screws and nuts, pre loaded from roton.com
    either the 276 oz steppers or the 434 oz steppers from automationdirect.com
    Still debating controller cards possibly xylotex, EAS, and the arcsin looks interesting!

Now the Ron Steele Plans look pretty good..not a fan of the z axis, but i'm open to other ideas. Anyway...how much length of ball screw do I need? Is 1 3 ft piece enough?

I may just jump the gun and see if I can swing the x3 by the little lady. Not sure on that one.

4' of ball screw will cover the conversion with a little left over. I paid $30 for 4'. THe Ron Steele plans are the way to go. Seriously, the Z axis feed works like a champ. THe Y ball screw conversion is easy. The X axis takes a good bit of shoehorning to get it to fit Both the saddle & the underside of the table have to be machined. Steele has ball screw conversion plans that use smaller ball screws & nuts, no machining required but they cost more than the 5/8 screws. I have a post here with a few pics of my almost complete conversion. Steeles plans are the way to go.