586,094 active members*
4,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How Can I Deburr A Manifold?

How Can I Deburr A Manifold?

I'm machining a manifold from 6061 aluminum. The manifold is part of an instrument and has many intersecting passages, some of them threaded.

They range in diameter from 7/64 to 7/16 inch. I have 5/16 holes intersecting the bottom of the 7/64 holes. I have perpendicular #17 holes where the bottoms meet at a right angle.

For the most part, I'm using roll form taps, but have been unable to find 7/16-20 roll form taps.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Any suggestions on how to minimize the burrs and deburr these things?
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Ken, you can get the 7/16-20 here
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH

Are you saying that the Form Tap is burred, I thought smoother threading was one of the benefits of form taps?

Is the 6061 soft or tempered like T6 for example ? I have found that softer aluminum has more burring problems then the harder tempered materials.

Would cleaning brushes for pistols work, they come in many sizes and materials, SS, nylon, bronze etc.

The other Ken

Talking

Try this link:
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...&PMT4NO=490971

It"s for Balax taps. I've had very good luck with them
    Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea
    Ken, you can get the 7/16-20 here
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH

Are you saying that the Form Tap is burred, I thought smoother threading was one of the benefits of form taps?

Is the 6061 soft or tempered like T6 for example ? I have found that softer aluminum has more burring problems then the harder tempered materials.

The other Ken
    No, one of the reasons I'm using the forms taps is because they don't generate burrs.

Offhand, I don't know the temper. But most of the stuff I buy is T6.

The problems are where the holes intersect, where a threaded hole crosses a hole that partially intersects another hole, etc.

Thanks for the link.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

when i designed manifolds for air and hydraulic use we used a company called thermo burr. they basically put your part in a giant gas chamber and blow it up. all the burrs burn off and the manifold comes out clean.

there maybe one in your area. if you need drop me a line and i can probably get you their contact info.