586,102 active members*
2,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > plausible free/cheap CAD software for CNC parts

plausible free/cheap CAD software for CNC parts

I'm looking for free or cheap CAD software that lets me create files I can send away to get metal parts machined by people or companies with CNC machines. I don't need elaborate features, but easy and intuitive to learn is much appreciated. Features I want but aren't necessarily in the "absolutely need" category include:

#1: ability to view object in 3D.
    #2: ability to view objects assembled into complete device.
    #3: ability to create images and/or PDF files of view and/or 3D drawings.
    #4: ability to create images of 3D views of objects and assemblies.
    #5: set of massively standardized parts (like socket head bolts).
    #6: ability to import mfg files for parts like linear bearings, etc.

What is absolutely necessary is the ability to output files that machinists with CNC machines can work with conveniently. I expect every part I will need made will be machined by a CNC milling machine or a lathe, and most parts will be aluminum, with perhaps a few [stainless] steel components.

What are my choices? What is my best choice in your opinion? I need to get about a dozen parts made now, then probably nothing for many months, then probably modest numbers later. I'm developing a couple robotics vision systems, but my primary work is the electronics design, firmware and software, not mechanics. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to do this CAD work for me, so I must do it myself.

Thanks.

I've been doing #1 thru #6 for over 15 years now with Cadkey, everything from machined parts aerospace and medical to music instruments to structural steel to modeling skyscrapers to staircases.

The key is knowing how to draw and model parts and assemblies, the cad system is your choice. Use anycad, Some are easier, some are just plain clumsy. whatever system must have good translators, import and export to IGES (minimum). PM me for specifics.
    Been doing this too long