586,100 active members*
2,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas VF8 mill

Just installed a new Haas VF8 mill - is there any way to bypass the door switches? Have a couple of jobs that I need the door open while running.

Hit setting graphics, go to #51 and turn off.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thank you

Don't do it!!! Osha doesn't approve!:nono:
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    Don't do it!!! Osha doesn't approve!:nono:
    Gosh, hope he isn't in California!

The good thing about changing #51, is that it reverts to on when the machine is fired up again. You must reset it ever time you want to bypass the door. That way the next crew has them on.

It is a stupid regulation anyway, as many many machines don't even have enclosures. I think I also heard some place that is Europe Haas makes it so you can't disable the door switches. Of course then they just tape the switches! :idea:

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Yeah Mike - the European regulations make it so you have to be a block away in order to operate the machine. The shrouding they are putting on the TL's is a complete joke to me.

And it's a good thing here in Cali (and we set the pace for the rest of the US...) we have the government making sure we follow the wonderful European model.:tired:
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    Yeah Mike - the European regulations make it so you have to be a block away in order to operate the machine. The shrouding they are putting on the TL's is a complete joke to me.

And it's a good thing here in Cali (and we set the pace for the rest of the US...) we have the government making sure we follow the wonderful European model.:tired:
    It's funny! The last place I worked had an OSHA inspector come in. The person guiding her around was insistent on showing how I was running my three Haas VMC's with the doors closed. But, right next to me is a guy running a Robert's VMC which comes with no guarding at all!!!!

In general OSHA is a joke and should be eliminated.

When I worked in California years ago, I was the OSHA person for the shop and had to go to their school. Even the instructor knew it was basically a joke. Under Cal OSHA regulations, water is a hazardous chemical!!!

Mike

It seems Haas switched around recently, and now all their machines have the placebo door override instead of just the european models. We have two 2010 machines (mill&lathe) that are like that. If you open the door, the spindle has an ocerride speed that it drops to (50 RPM on the lathe, like 150 on the mill). You can change it but haas obviously doesn't want you to do it...

Funny part is we also have a 2005 lathe that was apparently a european show model, up until recently it was the newest machine we ran, but of course since it was european it has the placebo override too. We just use a binder clip over the prox switch when skimming tools and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    ....Under Cal OSHA regulations, water is a hazardous chemical!!!

Mike
    It is!!!

This is an extract from European Chemical News published in the 1970's.
    -----------------------------------

ICI has announced the discovery of a new fire fighting agent known as WATER (Wonderful And Total Extinguishing Resource). It is particularly suitable for dealing with fires in buildings, timber yards and warehouses, and is fairly cheap to produce. It is intended that quantities of about a million gallons should be stored in open pools or reservoirs near urban areas and installations of high risk.

WATER is already encountering strong opposition from safety and environmental groups. Professor Connie Barrinner has pointed out that if anyone immersed their head in a bucket of WATER, it would prove fatal in as little as three minutes. Each of ICI's proposed reservoirs will contain enough WATER to fill half a million two-gallon buckets. Each bucketful could be used a hundred times, so there is enough WATER in one reservoir to kill the entire population of the UK.

Did we know, asked a Fire Brigades spokesman, what would happen to this new medium when it was exposed to intense heat? It had been reported that WATER was a constituent of beer; did this mean that fireman would be intoxicated by the fumes?

The Friends of the Earth said they had obtained a sample of WATER and found that it made clothes shrink. If it did this to cotton, what would it do to men?

In the House of Commons, the Home Secretary was asked if he would prohibit the manufacture and storage of this new lethal material. A full investigation was needed, he replied, and the Major Hazards Group would be asked to report.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.