586,060 active members*
4,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > open point cloud stl file

open point cloud stl file

I am trying to use a probe digitizer to help create molds. The probe works fine. Using Mach3, I end up with a point cloud file visible in MachCloud. The file is saved to an stl file.
    Using SolidWorks Premium 2009. I need to be able to open the stl file to create a surface to cut the molds. Haven't been able to work this one out yet.
    Any ideas? Is there a thread already covering this that someone can point me to?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tjskcnc View Post
    I am trying to use a probe digitizer to help create molds. The probe works fine. Using Mach3, I end up with a point cloud file visible in MachCloud. The file is saved to an stl file.
    Using SolidWorks Premium 2009. I need to be able to open the stl file to create a surface to cut the molds. Haven't been able to work this one out yet.
    Any ideas? Is there a thread already covering this that someone can point me to?
    Thanks.
    File, Open, Scroll to STL, then pray!
    Stl is the worst format of all for Solidworks. Unless the part is very simplistic all you will get is a visuall representation. You "probably" will not be able to do anything with it especially cavity or mold routines. Best bet probably would be to get the stl converted to Iges surfaces and pray.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    File, Open, Scroll to STL, then pray!
    Stl is the worst format of all for Solidworks. Unless the part is very simplistic all you will get is a visuall representation. You "probably" will not be able to do anything with it especially cavity or mold routines. Best bet probably would be to get the stl converted to Iges surfaces and pray.

Mike
    Totally agree. SolidWorks and STL are like oil and water.

can you upload the stl file , i can test it if you want
    for CNC woodcarving - 3d puzzle - furnitures
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fabrun/

Keep in mind guys, STL is a graphics file. The reason it's popular is because all the cheap programs out there use it in contrast to better file formats.

You can import the STL into solidworks and if you have 'premium' you can take the data and make it into a SLDPRT file [similar to feature works for other file formats] It's not perfect but it works. I've yet to hear of good industrial yet parametric CAD program that pays much attention to STL, there is a reason for it.

Fwiw
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gonna disagree with you there, it is not a graphics intended file, it is primarily for surface modelling using triangulation, or a point cloud (originally created for STereoLithography, aka 3D printing). In fact, my Dimension 3D printer ONLY takes STL files as an input file type. Solidworks has absolutely no issue creating an STL file, but even the files it creates are usually limited to graphics input when opened (even in the Premium versions of Solidworks). The reason it doesn't work well in SolidWorks and similar programs is that they are parametric. They can "easily" create the triangulated surfaces of an STL, but there are literally thousands or even millions of them, so it is very inefficient given the primary code base used in these programs. Many CAM programs work very well with STL files.

Back to the OP's question, though, there really is no easy way to get an STL file in to Solidworks. Even with the Premium version, it is a poor companion at best. You are best off using a different program if you need to work with STL files.

STL I guess the 'graphics file' comment was lost in translation. Basically what I was meaning was it was primarily used by more Graphics orientated 3D modeling programs [vs mechanical & parametric CAD programs]

CAM programs work well with them in some instances [depending on the CAM] due to not having to manipulate the surface, they simply have to register to it and machine accordingly.

Importing STL files into SW Premium [using Scan to 3D] DOES work [I've built SW models using it] it's certainly not easy and/or fun depending on how complex the model is. I will agree that if you have access to something that works w/ STL as a native file to go that route, but if your wanting to bring something into SW and get the level of control that you can get in a mechanical & parametric CAD program then it is 'do-able'.
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks all for the replies. Knowing that the *.stl format is not a viable option got me to thinking more about my objectives and how to get there, so I've been doing a lot of research the past couple of days.
    As noted in my original post, I am using Solidworks Premium 2009. There is a plug-in that I had not previously activated (did not even know it was there) that handles 3D point cloud importing. All I needed to do was figure out the correct format for the *.txt file and everything else, like all of Solidworks, is simple enough if you follow the directions. I was able to delete unwanted points, change x-y-z orientation, create the mesh, then turn it into a solid. The *.stl file is no longer needed.
    Thanks again

If you have Premium you might try importing the point cloud using ScanTo3D.