586,108 active members*
3,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Replacing Prototrak M3 with .....

I have a bridgeport Milling machine outfitted with Prototrak M3 and what I'm finding is that milling simple contours etc is a chore due to the counterintuitive controls & lack of documentation, not to mention the inability to export dxf files into its 3.5 floppy (due to lack of postprocessor which at least to the best of my knowledge would cost far more than mach 3 & a postprocessor for it)

I have been struggling with the fact that I have to do all the programming at the machine itself and therefore dont want to spend 5 hours standing next to the machine plugging in all the parameters to mill a relatively simple part when I already have a 3-d model in my computer that I SHOULD be able to shunt through a post-processor in the office and just pull up on the computer driving the mill.

essentially what I'm interested in doing is to pull the prototrack m3 and replace it with a real computer (dos-based 3.5 floppy, what a joke) running Mach 3. My question to anyone here who has done this is the following, am I going to end up having to rip all the wiring etc out and invest in a new servo controller (driver?) as well? anyone who has done this before your help is MUCH appreciated. (also, is there a better solution?)

I also have a torchmate x-y plasma table that I am contemplating swapping from the torchmate controlling interface to mach 3 so as to make any cnc item I use share a common control interface (looking to build my own x-y table that will also do wood routing so instead of 3 different programs to learn, anyone in my shop only has to learn one program but just more ways to use it)

so, has anyone done this before? really looking to preserve as many components that exist on the mill & table to cut costs, it would otherwise be a simple "replacement kit" which would be extremely easy (but likely much more costly)

Prototrak

the M3 come with RS232 serial port on the back of the controller??
    ......i program to Prototrak Plus, MX2, AGE2 mills and lathe LX2 almost every time i use them. Sending files by Null modem serial cable (sometimes called Laplink or Interlink) using an old computer with Windows XP and the free windows program Hyperterminal is not that hard. takes about 20 seconds to transfer programs. i use an older computer to
    1) send and receives files from Prototrak
    2) view gcode from Prototrak as often a easy edit can be done in Windows notepad or any simple text editor
    3) computer can store files
    4) if computer has usb port then a flash drive can be used for transferring files
    5) if computer is 1 ghz speed and has 1/2gb ram then Cad Cam software will run on it as long as it runs on Windows XP
    ......i think i spent $5 for the serial cable and i had to read the Prototrak manual and the Prototrak CadCam interface manual to understand Prototrak SWI Gcode.
    ......About only problem i have is if using a fanuc post processor if it gives z axis commands i need to edit some so it works on a 2 axis machine. Changing CR0.0 to CR- cause prototrak to pause so i can manually change Z and then hit go button to resume.
    ...... i am always surprised when people want to spend a lot of money to change a machine when usually it requires mostly getting and reading the manual.
    ...... cable i spent $5 on i got on ebay. Prototrak manual some i bought from SWI and some i borrowed from other machinist for a few days. usually some machinist has the manual locked up some where. just a matter of finding who has it. old computer works just fine. waste of money getting a new computer. i put Cad and Cam files on a flash drive.
    ........if i want to engrave letters takes about 5 minutes with Cad program, a couple minutes to edit Gcode so if pauses at each letter so i can raise and lower cutter, a minute to upload program to Prototrak. i use sharpie marker in the mill to draw my engraving to verify gcode is right, then i engrave. shouldn't take more than 30 minutes from time to sitting at computer to walking away from Prototrak with finished job.
    .......contact Contact Southwestern Industries, Inc.
    i am pretty sure they still sell the manual for M3. most older machines manuals are not on the internet but they are still available. my guess is they make almost as much money selling manuals as they did the controller. probably sell at least 10 manuals for each machine as probably 10 different machinist locked the manuals in their tool box.

the proto-trak m3 has its own proprietary dos only mini-built in computer, the interface for proto-trak m3 is counterintuitive and slow

I have, and have read the manual for the proto-trak m3, bottom line, it's slow and outdated.
    ----------->(Prototrak CadCam)<--------- 1000$ (post-processor) vs mach 3 & its postprocessor - 400$... mach 3 will be used on multiple machines...

it's one thing to have purpose-built machines (my whitney punch is no good at sawing material) its quite another to have to learn/teach an extra 2 programs every time you have to run a different machine.

I have a really bad plasma table program and yet have no problem burning 35 different parts out design to parts being cut in 1 hour or less simply because the post-processor works/exists/is easy to use, runs on my network and doesn't take 10 minutes to boot and another 20 minutes to zero out and manually edit the program at the machine.

I have a Proto Trak lathe and i think it is one of the most simple things to program. I think that is what those machines were built for was simple shapes,slot,,bolt holes,etc. We can program offline and download through a RS232 cable. I don't know how the programming on a mach 3 is,but i can't see it being more simple than a Proto Trak.

aaaaaaannnd the screen/computer unit died, 4000$ for SWI to "upgrade" to something that might? work better with the same aggravations OR.... do what I've been thinking about all along, replace the drivers & pipe directly into laptop running mach3..... decisions decisions...

I use an MX2e (software upgrade for mx2) and I love it! my only concern with changing to mach3 would be the loss of the EXTREMELY prototyping friendly UI.

my $.02...

frito