586,077 active members*
3,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > PM-45 CNC Conversion (RF45)
Page 41 of 44 313940414243
    Back to doing some work on my machine. Did some delrin parts. I ended up scraping the first try when it broke trying to face off the carrier stock on the 2nd op. So I ended up doing it with tabs.

Had the machine cutting at 195IPM, which was fun. But Mach was giving me a random fault until I rebooted.

Some video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7RoEkE8c9s
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Outstanding craftsmanship.

Very nice assembly!

I've discovered I really like machining Delrin parts .. and also learned as you did, the right approach makes the difference!
    Like the finish on aluminum too, is it bead blasted?

Gary

Yeah it's bead blasted.

Very cool!!!

Jid, every time I watch your videos I'm curious about the vises I see. They look like they are about 3 inches. Where did you get them? I'm also curious what cutters and S&F you were using. They did a pretty good job on the aluminum and left a nice finish.

-Freeman

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Those are el cheapo Shars 4" CNC vises. They are crap, but cost nothing, and I wanted something cheap as I don't plan on spending too much more time with this machine. Aluminum is cut with a Maritool carbide tools, 3 flute for the 1/2" and 2 flute for the 1/4" and 1/8". Spindle is always at 6800-7200 RPM for roughing and 5000 RPM for finish. Roughing is .060" stepover up to about 1" deep, and around 90 IPM. The video is shallower depth and stepover up to about .080", feeds were knocked down to between 75-80 IPM just because I didn't have time to screw with a tool pulling out. I find I risk pull-out when I push around 4 MMR or higher.

Jid, saw your beautiful build show up on craigslist. Time for a new machine?

Wish I could afford yours

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    Jid, saw your beautiful build show up on craigslist. Time for a new machine?

Wish I could afford yours
    I just looked for it myself, wow! but considering the work he put into it. A Chinese built would save you about $4K but after fixing everything they did to it. It won't be much of a savings. this one is pretty much ready to go.

Yeah - time for the real deal.

Price is looking to reflect what a used Tormach typically sales for in the Seattle area. I'm thinking that at that price I will likely throw in all my tooling and my super quiet air compressor. We'll see.

If I can validate that my scope project is going to be a good seller than I'll buy a new Brother, otherwise I'll settle on a used Super Mini Mill.

Thanks Jid2 for the very informative build, I just got finished reading trough all your build thread and can not thank you enough for the inside info to the capabilities of the RF45 CNC build as I was about to embark on the same path with the Enco RF45 I have.
    Good luck with your new endeavor with a store bought ready to use CNC (I am envious of you)
    Bill in SE Idaho

For comparison, here is video of cutting a part similar in features, but larger in size to the ones I shared in post #795. Parameters are in the description of the video, but roughing is at 250 IPM and between .125" to .20" stepover, at 14K RPM.

Enjoy. This is what I need for the garage.

CNC Machining Brackets on Brother TC-S2Dn-O with HSMWorks - YouTube

I'll take one! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    For comparison, here is video of cutting a part similar in features, but larger in size to the ones I shared in post #795. Parameters are in the description of the video, but roughing is at 250 IPM and between .125" to .20" stepover, at 14K RPM.

Enjoy. This is what I need for the garage.

CNC Machining Brackets on Brother TC-S2Dn-O with HSMWorks - YouTube
    That is one heck of a machine, you making me want more than I can afford LOL :drowning:
    Bill in SE Idaho

Re: PM-45 CNC Conversion (RF45)

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    Ballscews arrived. Overall they look pretty good, they forgot to drill my pin holes in one of the screws, oh well. I had them turn the diameter where the bearings go with a -0mm + 0.07mm tolerance. So the bearings are tight right now, I'll run some fine sand paper over them until they slip on.

Now the only thing stopping me is time. Here's the screws, nuts, pulleys, bearings, and billets.

I know this is super old but do you have the dimensions for the length, width and pitch or a drawing of what you ordered from linearmotionbearings2008?

I haven't received my machine in yet and I wanted to order all the stuff ahead of time so any information would be greatly appreciated

ps your machine looks amazing!

I could share what I used, but honestly its only useful if you do my conversion. Youd be best served to design what you need and order accordingly.

Judging by your design I would be a fool not to follow in your foot steps
    The only slight possible issue I see is that I ordered the PM-932M however I believe there is only a difference in the Z

I wouldn't mind paying for the information as well

Quote Originally Posted by Techbuilder View Post
    Judging by your design I would be a fool not to follow in your foot steps
    The only slight possible issue I see is that I ordered the PM-932M however I believe there is only a difference in the Z

I wouldn't mind paying for the information as well
    the primary issue is the overall dimensions will vary even though they look similar. perhaps starting your own thread and measuring out the dimensions of your machine the way it sits now, will help everyone including yourself design a suitable approach to converting your machine. that will also serve to help you problem solve other machining tasks in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    the primary issue is the overall dimensions will vary even though they look similar. perhaps starting your own thread and measuring out the dimensions of your machine the way it sits now, will help everyone including yourself design a suitable approach to converting your machine. that will also serve to help you problem solve other machining tasks in the future.
    Hi Dracozny,

I understand where your coming from but as I stated I don't have the machine in yet as I still have another 6 weeks till it comes in and I wanted to purchase everything for the conversion ahead of time.
    Matt from Quality Machine Tools stated that the 932 is exactly the same except the 932 has a little less travel because there are slight casting changes to accommodate the powerfeed connectors for the x and the z.

None the less any information jid2 could provide me would be really helpful and get me near the right ball park to order my ball screws ahead of time.

Page 41 of 44 313940414243