586,361 active members*
3,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > any reviews on PM1127VF LATHE

any reviews on PM1127VF LATHE

I was looking at the g9972z lathe from Grizzly, then ran across PRECISION MATTEWS PM1127VF LB I like the features of the PM better and like the large bore option just need input thanks again

You can find out a lot about the PM lathe on their Yahoo group.
    bluemachining : PM/Weiss Group
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Ordered one. The LB is not in the states yet, so no one has a bead on them yet, even Matt at Quality Tools. The collective thinking is they are the same as the VF non LB except for the 1.5" bore and spindle taper. Maybe a spider also, but no one knows for sure. The 1127 VF is the best bang for the buck for the largest small bench lathe. There is even a cheap mod to make a electric brake, and also can do reverse threading which many small lathes in this class can not.

Oh how I wish you hadn't posted this. It's a steal at that price. Now I think I might get it over the G0602. Comes with stand, power crossfeed and can cut reverse threads.

@ 650# it's going to not be fun to get into the basement. Maybe I can just slide it down the stairs. I wonder what the weight is with the tailstock and crossfeed removed is.

I think the same over the g9972z like the idea of rev threads without cnc'ing it first plus the crossfeed, large bore, and the list goes on and on. I tryed call today and left amessage hopefully hear back tomorrow, probably talking to everyone else about them....or Presidents Day....hope they're not like Grizzly and leave me hanging.......another main reason why I'm looking at other options now....

I ordered the pm1127 back in Oct. and I'm still waiting. Hopefully this month. Also just ordered the pm 30 lv. I was going to get the pm30mv but their site says they are sold out. I exchanged some email with Matt. Even though the site says early March, he said late March. Does anyone make a motor for the table?

Actually PM1127VF

I think im goin to get the PM45M since the lathe isn't even available yet, but gonna atleast order the PM1127VF LB within the next couple months... .hopefully some of you guys will have yours and confirm its a good piece.....and a value....I hope

My son has had the PM1127VF (standard-size bore) since last Spring, and is quite happy with it.

I got a hold of Quality Machine Tools today and the lady said that the lathes are hopefully gonna be there within the first couple weeks of march, hell thats just around the corner....for those that recieve them let us know what theyre like.......Im really leaning towards one, but gonna get what I can for now since everything seems to be going like hot cakes

I wish I never saw this thread. I just ordered the PM1127VF-LB and the PM45M. Should be hear in 5 weeks ish. Its a pretty capable lathe. They have a video showing it doing some massive cuts even at a slow speed. I was sold at the power cross feed and left hand threading. Ill definitly let you all know how it is. The lb comes with a 6" chuck and the 1.5" bore for a reasonable price.

Sent from my Droid
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

I received the PM1127VF-LB. While I can not give a full review since it is still not setup, I can say that it is quite impressive. A few mods I added and now I must setup up it's final resting place and will start cutting.

What mods are you adding? I ordered the same lathe and the pm-30 lv mill. Both scheduled to arrive at the end of the week, finally. Also, I was going to rent an engine crane to lift it. Any tricks/advice on where to place the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by gumba View Post
    What mods are you adding? I ordered the same lathe and the pm-30 lv mill. Both scheduled to arrive at the end of the week, finally. Also, I was going to rent an engine crane to lift it. Any tricks/advice on where to place the straps.
    I would strap it at it's balance point which would be toward the head stock, but sling under the bed. Maybe take the splash guard off too.
    As the mods, I added two indicator led lamps. orange shows armed or power, green when the magnetic switch is on. Also rewired the filter board to a new KBMG-212D speed controller that has regenerative braking. You can not blow up the board switching from forward to reverse quickly with this controller and it stops the chuck in a hurry when I switch from forward or reverse to off, turn the speed control pot rpms to the left ( 0 rpm's) or hit the emergency stop button.
    I followed a gentlemans wiring chart with a few alterations of my own to include the magnetic switch to have regenerative braking. He is on yahoo groups and is blowsmeaway_greg. He takes the credit for this mod, and has a nice write up about the lathe.

Mind Posting a Link? Mine is at the shipping terminal. Was supposed to be here today but they "forgot" to put it on the truck. I'll have to wait until Wednesday morning now to get to uncrate it. From what I've read the 40 Position tool post on it is very ridgid compared to the Aloris QCTP. I've seen almost nothing but great things as far as comments go. Some say get the 12x36 from HF instead but this one appears to be one of the more quality tools out of China. I don't have my yet and I'm all ready looking for cool mod's for it.

BTW the last few days have been horrible waiting while I was off work and not mill or lathe to uncrate and setup. Now it's 2 more days.

Since it's only 650 lbs I'm getting a few buddies and we are taking it to the basement. Not to sure how much it weights w/o the tailstock, chuck, but I hope it's light enough 3 strong guys can man handle it. I don't want to take the apron off since Matt has his guys set these up to be able to run OoTB.
    Jeremiah

bluemachining : PM/Weiss Group

You should take it down as far as you can. There is cosmoline, dirt, dust, sea spray, casting sand in every orifice. Many screws and bolts were not tight on mine when removing them.
    I got the AXA mounted and looks good. the tool holders can be had for as little as 8.99USD, the 40 position holders are 50.00USD.
    Good luck and come over and join.

I have joined the group. I just started uncrating and tear down and found my apron is complete trash. It could be saved maybe with some surface grinding but the costs would be crazy. Probably 1/6 the price of the lathe.

And Flashbang is correct in that you want to do a complete tear down. I have a lot of iron in my gear boxes and almost anywhere else their is a machined hole. I posted on the group with pics as well as made a new thread here. I hope to talk to Matt on Monday about this apron problem.

The rest of the Lathe so far seems pretty decent. A few screws are a little on the short side and I will replace with some longer ones to better thread engagement. It seems the current lathes are sans 4 jaw chuck, but this is noted and should arrive sometime this year. I'm hoping Matt will take care of this definite manufacture defect and maybe make me a good deal on a Bison chuck.

My Spindle is slightly bigger at 4.8359" +-.0003 OD and the inside step is 2.7552 +-.0003. Their is no taper on the spindle for the D1-3 mounts. I do plan on maybe getting a second spindle and see if I can't convert it to a true D1-3 taper for easier chuck changes. The fit of the chuck back plate is very tight so repeatability should be pretty decent.
    Jeremiah