586,103 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Step pulse/Dir pulse question

I've got gecko g201 drivers and checking the manual it says that the minimum step pulse "0" time os 0.5 uS , minimum step pulse "1" time is 4uS and the direction setup is 1uS with a 20uS min hold time after step edge.

Could anyone tell me the correct way of calculating the values to put into the motor tuning tab in mach3? its running at 2 and 2 at the mo. I can't find artsofts definition of the terms they use in relation to the values i have.

Does the Mach3 step pulse value refer to the "0" time, the "1" time or a function of them both?

Should the Mach3 dir pulse value be 1uS or does the additional 20uS hold time figure somehow in the calculation

thanks

Looking at the Mach3 manual, it shows a picture of the screen with a zero value in both boxes. Looking at my machine, that's what I've got set. The manual refers to adjusting the figures if the motor is noisy - well mine's not noisy, so I've just left as-is.

i hate putting numbers in boxes just because im told to, i have to know why ..maybe thats my problem :# .. understanding basic TTL and PWM theory would be fairly handy on one level for diagnosing control issues, the direction and step pulses are represented by 0's and 1's that are encoded "if thats the right term' as roughly 0v and 5v peaks and troughs in the modulated signal thats sent from the pc(or motion controller) to the driver. The pulse widths have varying times, incorrect values could well lead to missed steps, inaccurate microstepping etc.

The values i have of 2 and 2 like your 0 and 0 seem to do the trick but who knows its difficult at this point to see if steps are being missed, without repeated testing.

I was nervous at first about lost steps. I've set my acceleration and speed conservatively, I hope. I was happy with testing (repeated feed one way then rapid back). And I'm happy that items I'm making are coming out the right size!

Let's see if we get some more contributions once the USA has woken up.

bit quiet in the uk isnt it . did you build your cnc or buy it dude?

Bought an ex-school Emco and re-armed it with new steppers and electronics.

turning, milling or lathe?

Mill. See "emco pc mill 50 & similar" thread under benchtop machines.