586,068 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Considering Upgrading Controller, Software, etc...

I recently purchased a CamTech Routermaster 52 that is not working properly.

When I was initially looking for a CNC Router I was considering building my own - it didn't look very complicated or expensive. My impression of the machine I bought is that it is very solid, but the controls are outdated.

Currently, one of the step motors is not working properly on the x-axis and there is also a problem on the z-axis. The y-axis works fine

Does anyone have experience upgrading an older machine (1995) without having to spend a lot of money?

If I was to purchase new drives, powersupply, breakout board, and software could I expect to have a working machine. I know that is a rather general question, but if anyone has some input it would be greatly appreciated :wee:

Thank you

The stepper motors are
    VEXTA PH296L-01
    2 phase
    1.7 Volt
    4.7 Amp

The controller is a CamTech
    RMMXZ51ABCTCMJEO
    serial# 1389-9508

I rebuilt a Routermaster 74

I used the existing motors (have the upgraded motors ready to go into the machine), used deskCNC to control the machine (Has a nice CAM as well), Gecko drives on a PMDX132 mother board to control the motors.

I also built my own pendant for deskcnc. If you want more details I can supply them. The overall project was probably less than $1000 (for this phase).

Yes please! Any information would be very helpful; the repalcement parts and how it all worked out. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this machine!

Quote Originally Posted by getrolfed View Post
    Yes please! Any information would be very helpful; the repalcement parts and how it all worked out. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this machine!
    Dive in and read some of the build threads on this site. It'll be a lot of reading, but there is a lot to learn.

I'm not familiar with that machine, but I'm guessing (mostly from its age) that you want to get rid of all the computer controller and drivers, but keep the stepper motors.

You start with a new computer, and some appropriate drivers (I like Geckos), get your limit switches and homing devices tuned up and working properly, and you should be well on your way.

Don't go jump out and buy a new expensive computer. Frequently an older PC will have all the capability you need.

My preference is for a small computer with the Linux operating sytem, and EMC2. Many other guys are getting along just fine with a Windows computer and Mach3. So both paths work, chose your favorite path.

But spend many many nights reading some of the build threads and get familiar with more of the lingo, etc. Education is power.

Tom

Ready to build? or NOT...

Thanks for the input. I've been going through many threads, but must say, I am a little lost.

I'm happy to throw some money at the project....

My current power supply is : 2x 18V, 12V; 260 VA

My stepper motors are: VEXTA PH296L-01, 2 phase, 1.7 volt, 4.7 amp.

The gantry has a stepper motor at each end, therefore, one axis requires two motors. I am assuming that I would need a 4-axis setup, running one axis with a slave. However, I read in a thread that someone was using a 3-axis controller for the same machine as mine.

I don't even know what a 2 phase stepper motor is.

Most of the power supplier people are using here are 24volt to 80volt. Now how does this work when I am running 1.7 volt steppers?

I phoned a reputable supplier and discussed the issue with someone, but came away even more confused. He was asking me how many watts I needed. So, I'm thinking; 4 motors x 1.7 volts x 4.7 amps = 32 watts... but that can't be right??? My power supply is 260 VA... or maybe it is right.

It seems like I best get my facts straight before spending $$$

Any ideas?

RouterMaster 52

I have a complete RouterMaster 52 1997 model in perfect working condtion and am wanting to sell the machine. My daughter is going to be 16 in a few months and need to sell, to but her a car I have all the paper work and will include Mastercam 8.11 for drawing and have a custom postprosser that will also do 3D work without the upgrades. Ive made raindeer and sleighs on ebay many signs around town for businesses plaques and furniture with this machine. It has t slots for the table and I have a board the i screw my workpice down to and machine anything. I am willing to consider trades or 6,500 cash or trade and cash or trade for a nice Toyota Pickup 4 by 4 for me and ill give my daughter my car.Like I said it ready to run it runs off of 110v and 220 single phase it has a 3 phase inverter for the spindal so you can controll the speed of the spindal all come as one ready to run today can send pictures videos in interested thanks for looking Rick 256 393 0973