586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: new baby...

new baby...

Not Tormach related but... I can't keep it for me...:wee:

I just received my new baby yesterday. It now sit beside our truly tested Tormach 1100. The Tormach will still be very usefull and will still work all day long...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32648353@N03/5474157182/

Nice!!!!

Congrats man, looks like a keeper!! That is an interesting picture because I always thought the Minimills were quite a bit larger than the Tormach machine. From the looks of that picture the overall size is probably at least similar. Does that thing have the 15k spindle? What about rigid tapping? You should really be able to make some cool stuff with that machine I am sure. What are you making that you wanted to upgrade like this? Is this a business or strictly personal use? Anyways, congratulations on a beautiful new mill....peace

Pete

I can already see the Tormach is going to be jealous ! Man just looked up the price (saw your thread earlier) and wow that's about the price of a new BMW, however the car won't make you money. As soon as you get everything setup post some videos would love to see !!

Ahhh... I am so jaleous... you deserve your name Freddy! Just kidding, congrats. Let us know how it compares to the tormach, I mean what is better. I am hoping someday it will makes sense for me to get one too.

Thank you guys.

In fact, it's not for hobby. I'm in a University in a reseach department. When I came here, there was no cnc at all. I had to convince everybody of the necessity of a cnc. After 4 years, the Tormach paid for itseft about 20 times... so now I had the opportunity to upgrade... (In my previous job I was programming a dozen of 5x machines).

To compare in size, the Tormach is more rectangular (80'' X 50'') and the Sminimill is more square (70'' X 70''). Spindle is 10000rpm.

I think the Tormach will always stay more flexible for some jobs. This is a very robust machine because it run form 4 years now without any major problems.

I'll show you pics and videos when it'll be realy to cut .The sminimill will be a little longer to setup than the Tormach (I was cutting chips the same day I received my Tormach...)