586,104 active members*
3,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC & PCB's

Lightbulb CNC & PCB's

Has anyone thought of the idea of creating PCB's by using an 'Etch Resist' Pen instead of the spindle in the CNC Machine, drawing the Copper Layout, then etching it in the normal way?
    Has anyone tried this in the past?
    Did it work - any Pros & Cons?
    Skype me on imagineeringnz
    ----------------------------
    Intuitor: (noun)
    A person with a passion for learning and innovating that is so strong it is often more powerful than the desire to eat, sleep or seek personal wealth.
    Ummm . . . Guilty as charged.

Nice idea, although I guess if you are going to put it on a cnc machine you might as well just cut the tracks while you are at it, and avoid the extra acid process.

Imagineering...it will work. It mostly likely spend a bunch of time cleaning pen tips. How do you plan to create the circuitry layout??

How do you plan to create the circuitry layout??
    The concept is not new "eagle" can do this, Its just a matter of is it as effecient as just cutting the track as is done normally.

http://www.cadsoft.de/

ynneb...Was leading him down that path....the next step would be to spend the $8 or so per board and have someone else do the work...along with silkscreening, soldermasking, platted through holes if required, etc.

I use to do the direct print with an old xy plotter. The results were OK for thru hole circuits, but not fine enough for surface mount.

Currently my favorite method is toner transfer. If you etch with copper chloride, then theoretically the echant can be easily regenerated so that it will never wear out.

I am wondering if this will work. I have a mercury exposure system that we used to use at work for printing literature. It is basically a really bright light. I also have a buddy that does vinyl graphics. Could I get some of the light sensitive board, put the vinyl track layout graphic on, then put it under the light? I've never worked with the light sensitive board so I don't know if it would work or not.

If the vinyl graphics will work, what about printing on a transparency, placing the transparency on the board, then light?

I would still have to drill the holes, so I'm probably better off just routing the whole thing.