586,094 active members*
4,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

new machine lubrication concept

Hi It is worthy to note an MIT study calculated that six to seven percent of America’s Gross National Product is spent repairing wear damage caused by poor lubrication. Those numbers are from a dow corning advertisement. Crunching the numbers using 14 trillion x 7% = 980 billion. Figure about 5 million high school seniors per year in the country. If we do the math in round numbers that is about $200,000 per high school senior each year. If we could just save 50% thru better lubricators we would certainly be more competitive. I am in the process of developing a pneumatic frl type machine lubricator that makes it possible to detect, monitor and control each and every drop of oil dispensed into the airstream of a machine using compressed air. It is in the prototype stage and has been demonstrated to work as described. You can understand that it has the potential to impact all of industry since it is difficult to manufacture any product in quantity without using various machines that use compressed air. It should reduce downtime and increase thruput due to extended life of all pneumatic machine components including air solenoids, cylinders and air motors. There should be a residual savings of energy as well due to less air loss from reduction of seal wear and constant lubrication. Is this something that you would have applications for or do you know someone who has applications for it? 610-340-4637 [email protected] Bruce Sunderland

You mean something like this
    TACO CO.,LTD/MIST LUBRICATION UNIT

Cincinatti milacron had a different unit but same idea.

No not even close for several reasons. What you have shown has many areas for mechanical failure. There are other shortcomings in what you have depicted compared to my device. For machine tools doing machining it looks like masterpneumatics scorpion is about the best that is presently on the market with limited applications but I feel that my technology is even superior to theirs as well. Cincinatti makes a nice machine but no machine maker seems to have an adequate oil lubricator with feedback and control of the actual drop of oil as does mine.

Would be interesting to see for sure. The units I've seen do have a prox type switch that does look for the oil drop. The machines pmc actually time the oil drops on the units. They fire a small solenoid that let's the drop of oil fall at predetermined intervals. Without seeing it, hard to tell a difference. I'd be interested in seeing your design.

To try to put the difference in perspective a high ranking individual at DVRIC which gets involved with industrial startups in my area said that if it were used only in California all of the work would go there and the other 49 states would be without. I'd rather feed the entire market with it however.

Or use sealed-for-life bearings and solid lube like SKF's M64, MICRO-POLY or C-lube.

On linear guides C-lube is used as ball/roller separators and as way lube packs on the ends of the blocks.

Then there are the various "plastic/PFC" materials that don't require additional lube.

Just a thought.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

There are valves, air cylinders and air motors sold everyday that do require oil. Just another thought. Yes sealed bearings are sealed for life which do fail because they end their life. The other permanently lubed and lube free applications have limited use and are often in areas of infrequent use and or low demand load situations. Yes I do not think I would want to run my car without oil in it.