586,058 active members*
4,263 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > is this the software package for me?

is this the software package for me?

I'm new to CNC. I'm buying a Sherline (most likely) with the EMC2 controller.

I want 1 package that I can do my design, convert to gcode and just fire it up with minimal 'tinkering'. I need to do solid modeling, 4th axis for asymetrical rod work and the normal 'other' stuff like tapping holes. A lot of what I'll be doing will be "2d" plates but I want to do some 3d reliefs (like faces and stuff).

I really don't want to have to deal with 2-3 different vendors for cad, cam, post processing, etc. I just want a package. I'm doing this out of my garage and probably not making any money on it so I'm tryin to be frugal with my budget and I want to be sure that once I buy something I can actually 'do' the work.

So basically, I need:
    3d, solid modeling and design, 4th axis modeling and design CAD.
    CAM software that will output GCode for EMC2/Sherline CNC Mills.
    Good price.

Hello Lance;

Dolphin posts to EMC2 great, however at the moment it's limited when it comes to 3D. You may want to look at VisualMill, they seem to be OK. I'm not sure your budget, there may be a few other options.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

what do you mean that it's limited for 3d? Will visualmill do all the stuff I mentioned?

Yes Visual Mill should, but it is certainly more expensive...

Dolphin can handle 2.5D, some extensive surfaces, etc, but it's not full 3D capable yet.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

I don't think that VM does 3D modelling?
    Try OneCNC.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Apologies. For some reason, I was thinking they did. Maybe RhinoCam I am thinking of.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

So, DolphinUSA, could I possibly talk to you on the phone and explain what I'm tryin to do. I'm enough of a newbie here that I'm having issues communicating my needs to people on the forums. I don't think I need one of these 6k software packages to do what I want.

I wish I had some examples of the stuff I'm lookin at making to show you guys but I dont.

I'm going to be making some small consumer electronic devices, mostly just a case for batteries and a couple circuit boards. I want to make them out of multiple 'slices' of material so that when the slices are stacked it creates an enclosure. Obviously some would have material removed from the middle and just be a frame, others would be plates for the front and back. I want to do some relief images on the face plates, lets say a 3d contoured skull or a pretty pretty pony for the ladies. Nothing detailed, flat back, relief style contoured image.

The other thing I need is the ability to use my 4th axis for making asymetrical cylindrical items, mostly handles for bullwhips, or cane handles (If you know what a Hame tip is that'd help) nothing too intricate, just something you can't do on a lathe because it's not symetrical.

Besides the 4th axis stuff, everything I'm going to make is going to have 1 flat side, I honestly don't know what 'features' I need when I look at these software packages because I'm so new here I have no idea what half of that crap is lol. I know I'm jumping in the deep end but that's how I do things. The first time I did leatherwork I went to a friends house, helped him skin a deer he'd just taken and I tanned, cured, processed, and worked the hide from it's "natural" state. I want to go from the ground up, I'm limiting my investment by buying a hobby level CNC machine (sherline) and I'm tryin to do the same with my software so I don't buy something that's way more than I actually need.

PM me or osmething if you like, I don't care if a vendor contacts me privately, whoever can help answer my questions wins imo I just called BobCad and got an obviously overseas call center. That immediately takes them off my radar.

Sure, no problem. If you want to PM your phone number and name, we can call and try our best to help.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support