586,036 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Manual Oiler - Z axis manifold question

Manual Oiler - Z axis manifold question

Have noticed that X & Y axis' receive a lot more way oil than the Z. I took apart the manifold on the Z-axis to see if I saw anything suspicious. I haven't noticed anything yet; the oil line which feeds the z-axis flows fine when I activate the plunger. So I thought there might be a problem in the manifold. When I took it off, I inspected the brass valves (the ones with an arrow pointing in the flow direction). I cannot blow air through these. Is that normal or is that a sign something might be wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0333.jpg   IMG_0335.jpg  
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Sounds like the orifices (orifici?) are clogged. I can blow 90 psi air through them in the direction of the arrow, but not in the reverse direction.

Maybe there is a none return valve to stop the lines draining back to the pump.

If it was clogged you probably wouldn't be able to blow air in either direction don't ya think.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by wvines View Post
    Sounds like the orifices (orifici?) are clogged. I can blow 90 psi air through them in the direction of the arrow, but not in the reverse direction.

Let me rephrase.

Sounds like tikka308's orifices (orifici?) are clogged. I can blow 90 psi air through the orifices on my machine, which have no known problems, in the direction of the arrow, but not in the reverse direction.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Maybe there is a none return valve to stop the lines draining back to the pump.

If it was clogged you probably wouldn't be able to blow air in either direction don't ya think.

Phil

Sorry, my miss-reading.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by wvines View Post
    Let me rephrase.

Sounds like tikka308's orifices (orifici?) are clogged. I can blow 90 psi air through the orifices on my machine, which have no known problems, in the direction of the arrow, but not in the reverse direction.

Tikka,

I posted about my issue about a month ago. The right side Z was not getting much oil at all. I loosened the fitting at the Z manifold behind the head and was getting plenty of oil up to the manifold. I took off the orifice fitting and sprayed it with WD40. I noticed the orifice looked tiny (less than .030" I guess) and that supplies the right side slide and dovetail. I checked the other orifice that goes to the ballscrew and it was clear and the orifice there was at least 3 times the size. I let the right side orifice sit in wd40 for a while and then primed the right side line. I reassembled and pumped a few more times until I could get oil out the right side.

I get about 1.5 drops per pump stroke at the end of the right side Z slide and dovetail oil fitting with it disconnected and held in my hand. I didn't measure what I got at the left side slide, but it was quite a bit more. Do you get any?

Are those orifices about the size you see on yours?

I replaced the 0-ring in the pump and it generates more pressure to move the oil through the orifices. The z slides are getting oil now.

The replacement o-ring was a little thicker and also a little larger in diameter. The gasket on the front of the pump is, well, uh, not very good. While I had it apart I cut a new gasket. You can also use RTV, but I wanted to be able to take mine apart if it still wasn't working as well as I wanted.

My oil stroke time has doubled. I pumped it several times to try to get any air out. I'll update this after a few more pumps.