586,075 active members*
4,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Project to make open source 5 axis router/plasma plans

Hello all,
    I have posted about 3 build logs so far, the last one was a 5 axis, 5'x10'x29", 5.3hp, router & 60Amp Miller Plasma machine: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...a_10x5x24.html

I've launched an endeavor to produce an open source set of instructions for a 5 axis cnc router/ plasma machine. The documents will be based on the 5 axis router/plasma machine that I chronicled in that last build log, also seen here:
    Mike Calvino Architect Calvino Architecture Studio inc. CNC plasma router
    & here: YouTube - calvinoArchitect's Channel

I'm launching the open source document project through Kickstarter, I've got a full description, & a video, & you can see the link here:

Open Source 5 axis CNC Router & Plasma Machine Plans 5'x10' by Mike Calvino — Kickstarter

The idea is that if enough people are interested in the technology and are willing to spend a few $ to see an open source set of cad models, drawings, supplier lists, etc. that detail a complete, working machine, become available, then I can get it all assembled into a concise instruction file set & post if for download on my website. I would think there are a quite a few people who may be interested in something like this. If it works I think it will help to shed light on 5 axis (as well as 3 axis maybe) CNC machine technology as well as 5 axis CAM technology, how it can work, and how it can be used.

The Kickstarter funding project will go on until April 6th & if we've reached the goal, then it'll go through. I'll post updates here & some more info about the machine over the next few weeks as it goes on.

Well, here's to making cool stuff! & let's hope there's enough interest to get this plan/instruction set out there.

Cheers!
    :cheers:

--Calvino

Hi Calvino, this is the most exciting project idea I've heard of in a long time.

Great video about Kickstarter!

I think it's absolutely amazing and support this wherver i can.

A B S O L U T E L Y A W E S O M E !!!

Could you specify the "route" you want to take with this project a little more for us?

How exactly do you want to pursue you idea?

Cheers

Andi

The biggest "killer" for 5 axis work for me is the CAM costs... I have looked at the CNCToolKit site, but it didn't really look "ready for prime time". The cheapest 5-axis capable packages look to be $5k and up (WAY up!). What do you propose using on a more affordable budget level for CAM?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    The biggest "killer" for 5 axis work for me is the CAM costs... I have looked at the CNCToolKit site, but it didn't really look "ready for prime time". The cheapest 5-axis capable packages look to be $5k and up (WAY up!). What do you propose using on a more affordable budget level for CAM?
    I know the CNCtoolKit is a little technical, but for instance I use AutoCad to make all of the 3d models, then just import them into Gmax as .3ds - you get used to it . . . the other solution I talked about in the second half of Kickstarter video: Open Source 5 axis CNC Router & Plasma Machine Plans 5'x10' by Mike Calvino — Kickstarter is the Rhino/Grasshopper definition that will be an open source project as well. A mathematician named Edmund Harriss ( Edmund Harriss) has tentative plans (& is working on it now) to develop a Grasshopper definition that will generate simultaneous 5 axis toolpahts from 3d models - the first part of the open source CAM def. - and then another that will post process it. His goal is to have the first part of it, at least in beta & maybe he's going to try to go through Kickstarter with it, by the end of the spring 2011. With the ToolKit, the hard part is creating the toolpath splines - it takes quite a while - & so Edmund's idea is to write some algorithms that generate toolpaths about solids in a number of different ways automatically by choosing some different options in a Grasshopper definition for a given rhino solid model. Rhino can import a huge number of different file extensions, and can export a .3ds which is what Gmax & the toolkit need. So, once the first part of Edmunds GH definition is done, you could generate the toolpath automatically with GH and post process it with the CNC toolkit script that I modified to work with the machine.

I know that was sort of a ramble, but that's the general idea. Edmund's second part would be to create the post processing definition in GH with a number of options to set up the machine however it is build/setup so you can do it all from Rhino/GH. Rhino3d is just under $1,000USD and Grasshopper is a free plugin for it.

Beats $14,000 as far as I'm concerned & plus it's only a matter of time before there are a number of open source solutions I think . . . Rab Gordon's leading the way & Edmund is about to turn up the heat and the competition.

Sorry for such a ramble of a response, but that's the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiKid View Post
    Hi Calvino, this is the most exciting project idea I've heard of in a long time.

Great video about Kickstarter!

I think it's absolutely amazing and support this wherver i can.

A B S O L U T E L Y A W E S O M E !!!

Could you specify the "route" you want to take with this project a little more for us?

How exactly do you want to pursue you idea?

Cheers

Andi
    Thanks for the support Andy! . . . Well, I think the Kickstarter video said most of it: Open Source 5 axis CNC Router & Plasma Machine Plans 5'x10' by Mike Calvino — Kickstarter . But basically my idea is that if the Kickstarter effort reaches the funding goal, then I'll be able to take the time to really produce a set of drawings & files that one can follow easily & well ( & hopefully in a couple different formats). My drawings & models for them are all in AutoCad & I think Autodesk has a free download viewer that will allow one to see & rotate a 3d model & turn stuff on & off to see how it's put together, that's likely the first format that I'll release along with a link to the viewer. But, if time permits, I'd also like to produce it in a native Rhino format, also maybe in a eDrawings (by solidworks) format which uses a free download viewer.

I'll also post, in .dxf format (which most CAM programs will import) to plasma cut the parts from the sheets of steel for all of the brackets & parts that are made that way with a label layer that can be turned off.

I also have .xls files that are spreadsheets of the components and the suppliers - these also need major cleaning up so that someone else can read them easily.

I'd also like to have a set of .pdf files that have sketches and concepts written in there that explain the ideas behind the design moves so that people can begin to modify & invent parts, components, and make it work for themselves.

If it all goes through & the Kickstarter proj. reaches its goal, then I'll make a page on my website for the plan/instruction set project and all of the file downloads will be available from there.

Some of the parts I could make & ship if there is a demand for it, I would have to figure out a price list for some of the fabricated components. Much of it can be cut locally to avoid large shipping costs . . . steel gets heavy.

I hope that helps. That's the idea essentially.

Cheers!
    -Calvino

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Oh yea, mcphill, you have to be careful too that the advertised '5 axis' cam programs are "simultaneous 5 axis". For instance RhinoCam for a long time advertised up to 5 axis cam, but it was not simultaneous 5, it was 3 axis that could be indexed to another work plane & then just 3 axis again. Could do 4 with one being rotary, but that's not simultaneous 5 axis. RhinoCam I understand now has a simultaneous 5 axis plugin, but I'm sure the price is quite shiny. Just a heads up.
    Cheers!

bump

Howdy all,

MC, any updated/ progress reports?

Paul Treleaven
    Australia

No progress, but plans... I think I will be going with SprutCAM for the CAM side. Very affordable when ordered through Tormach.

I have my 4th axis in and working, so I guess it is time to get to the next one... No real plans/designs on that front, but we'll see what the summer yields...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html